X

Torque Wrench

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque Wrench

Do you always use a torque wrench for smaller things like your oil plug? How about wheels? Obviously there are somethings like cylinder heads that you are taking way to big of a risk not using a torque wrench.
    If there is a torque spec I use a torque wrench.
    0.00%
    If there is a torque spec and a wrench is handy I will use it.
    100.00%
    My torque wrench is still in its package.
    0.00%

I allways torque down every bolt i tighten. If i don't have the torque spec, i'll revert to this chart i have that gives a spec based on the fastener size, thread pitch and diameter, and material. It's pretty handy, and i wish i could remember what the site was that i got it off of.

Fairing bolts exempt, although i guess in a way i do torque them down. For the fairing bolts i use a cordless drill and set it to the lowest torque setting

Comment

I torque everything to spec.

Anal retentive, I guess. I just don't want to be thinking about whether or not I have everything put back together "correctly" while I'm riding.

I've got enough to worry about without that! :P

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

Originally posted by BISQ
        I torque everything to spec.

Anal retentive, I guess. I just don't want to be thinking about whether or not I have everything put back together "correctly" while I'm riding.

I've got enough to worry about without that! :P
        +1

tim

Comment

I torque critical, or easily stripped things to spec.

The important thing to remeber about torque values is that most of the time a spec is called for it is not to make sure you get it tight enough. It's to make sure you don't make it too tight.
          I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

the only fastners I don't torque are the body bolts, the allen wrench flex is a good dial indicator for those IMO. Other wise I don't dare elbow caliber torque anything. I would not be a tech if I did LOL
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Like most that have responded, I torque significant bolts, especailly frame and such...............

Body bolts...........easiest setting on the old torgue gun will do!

And I buy the JUMBO size blue Loc-Tite! 8)
              I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
              Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
              Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Working...
              X