X

sea foam how to use it

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sea foam how to use it

ok im going to try this sea foam this weekend i need to get my bike back in order and i want to clean the carbs up and run some high test trough it to get the gum and other crud out of them my bike been settiing all winter with satblizer in it
    "LOOK EARL ITS KARMA'S ARMY MADE UP OF THE PEOPLE FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD"

Throw about a third of a bottle in with a full tank of gas and run it through...pretty straight forward.

Comment

ok now what does it do exactly will it hurt my bike
      "LOOK EARL ITS KARMA'S ARMY MADE UP OF THE PEOPLE FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD"

Comment

A lot of people have used it, It just chemically breaks down stuff that iwll gunk up your carbs by running through it. Read the directions, I'm pretty sure it's like a third of the bottle. Don't go overboard like pouring the whole bottle in and you'll be fine.

Comment

dude you can do anything tou want with it. run it in your tank, spray it right in your carbs, put it in your oil, winterize with it and more.

check out there site.
          PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
          The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

dont put it in your oil!
            seafoam is a solvent, as are all other magical mystery mechanics-in-a-can... seafoam and techron are a pair that work fairly well within limited scope for cleaning gook out of carbs/injectors, as the solvent attacks fuel build-up and carbon as the engine is run... i have safely ran both of these at 3x the "recommended" concentration in especially dirty systems and watched the smoke fly as i revved them in redline sprints... we have all heard the term "blow it out"--- the increased flow will obviously help to expel the unwanteds, and the solvent may help that... these additives seem to be especially useful in bikes (vehicles) that have spent some time sitting, but again, they are not usually able to be substituted for a true carb servicing if that is what is in order... if jets are plugged, the only way to clear them is to pull the carbs... also know that a LOT of these additives (notably the cheaper ones like STP) are for all intents and purposes, mere kerosene (petroleum distillates)--- seafoam is a notable exception... yes, it is the same stuff you burn in your heater in the winter... indeed, kerosene and diesel fuel make great solvents, which is also why your typical aerosol "engine degreaser" is made of the same stuff... which brings me to the 's above; read carefully:
            YOUR ENGINE DOES NOT NEED TO BE FLUSHED... if there is gook inside your close-tolerance engine to the point that a good oil with a reasonable additive package cannot keep it clean, the engine needs to be serviced... no three ways about it... a flush-type additive severely thins oil, and in a high performance engine, that means metal to metal contact... IOW, use these things in the oil of a close-tolerance engine, and it may no longer be a close-tolerance engine...
            friends dont let friends put anything in their oil pan except the proper oil...

rant mode off
            a

gather 'round, children

Comment

I don't think we have sea foam up here, how about a small engine carb cleaner. Can't remember the name of it, but is that safe?
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

what if you were to put in some seafoam into the crankcase, turn the bike on for 5-10min and then change oil/filter? As long as you don't use the clutch I thought it would be fine.
                1989 Suzuki Katana 750

Comment

I've never used it... I stick to Techron for the fuel system, and good oils for the engine -- although I have used Gunk brand engine flush on motorcycle engines in the past as necessary (like after I stored one for 5 years while off in the military; my advice is to pull the clutch plates first just in case -- although I didn't).

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I've put small amounts of Sea-Foam in the oil on one of my bikes and it didn't hurt anything, but it didn't magically fix any of the issues I had with the engine either so now I only put it in the gas occasionally. That does seem to help the bike run smoother.
                    1994 Kawasaki ZX6E

Comment

Sea Foam will also clean some of the carbon off the piston heads I do beleive.
                      Kan-O-Gixxer!
                      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                      -Ohlins Susupension
                      -Various Other Mods

Comment

Draining the old gas out before filling it with new stuff can help too. The old gas should be fine for the mower and stuff.
                        '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

Re: sea foam how to use it

Originally posted by bigtwan251975
                          ok im going to try this sea foam this weekend i need to get my bike back in order and i want to clean the carbs up and run some high test trough it to get the gum and other crud out of them my bike been settiing all winter with satblizer in it
                          The bike was sitting all winter with stabilizer in it, and in the spring Sea Foam was needed to get the gum and crud out of the carbs? So the stabilizer you were using wasn't doing its job? Was it Stabil?

Use Sea Foam as the stabilizer next year.

Comment

Re: sea foam how to use it

Originally posted by bigtwan251975
                            my bike been settiing all winter with satblizer in it
                            Stabilizer only stabilizes fuel for 30 days at a pop. Some people get more than that out of their fuel, but officially it's a 30-day product. Given the contents of SeaFoam (based on the MSDS sheet), I doubt you'd get any better effect with sea foam if used as a stabilizer.

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Huh , I thought I read Sta-bil was supposed to keep gas good for up to 6 months :-k .
                              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                              X