No announcement yet.
X

Rough running 750 Kat - valve job???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 91 Kat 600...and I have the factory Suzuki Service manual...after the intial services it calls for valve adjustments / checks every 4K miles...and mine are screw type adjusters not shims.........

FYI

Very EASY to do, just take your time.

And the Kat WILL be a bit louder than water cooled bikes, that's the nature of the beast........

Comment

now that you mention it, let me look. The manual may say that. I just know in my head the interval is 7.5K miles, but I'll check.
      yeah, the Haynes manual does say 4K, I don't feel like finding the Suzuki manual, so I digress, it does say 4K. However, I do it every 7.5K.

Comment

Well I have not thrown the Haynes manual away yet.
        --- 1989 Katana 750 ---

Comment

Get the valve adjustment tool from CP while you're at it. I think it's only like $5 but it makes adjusting the valves much easier.

The only 'gotcha' as far as having parts on hand...you might need a valve cover gasket. Mine was trashed when I did my first valve cover adjustment. The good news is that most dealerships will stock that part. Also the gasket on the engine side cover you take off to get to the signal generator when doing the valves.

Comment

Originally posted by ctandc View Post
            Get the valve adjustment tool from CP while you're at it. I think it's only like $5 but it makes adjusting the valves much easier.

The only 'gotcha' as far as having parts on hand...you might need a valve cover gasket. Mine was trashed when I did my first valve cover adjustment. The good news is that most dealerships will stock that part. Also the gasket on the engine side cover you take off to get to the signal generator when doing the valves.
            Thats's right, I'm already in contact with CP.
            If the weather cooperates I will try to do the valve adjustment next weekend... Since I got the bike still torn apart.

My wife slowly realizes that this becomes a serious hobby of mine. I guess if she would have done her homework, there must be forums out there for the wifes of DIY biker guys, she would have not agreed to me purchasing a bike.
            --- 1989 Katana 750 ---

Comment

Next weekend Plan of Attack

Assuming all my small parts are coming in, I will take advantage of the favorable weather and plan the following activities to get my Kat running more smooth.

Well I got me the torque wrench from Sears and angled feeder gauges, one straight, one bend 45 degree.

1. change the cam tensioner and see what this does
              spring and gasket are on the way - thanks CP
              2. measure and adjust the valves
              ordered at the Hopkins HitchingPost the valve cover gasket and the plug gaskets as well (hope they have them by Friday)

if that does not get the bike running

3. get into the carbs and give them a closer look and maybe put a synch tool on them.

Do not really want to spend the carb rebuild kit money yet...if I can postpone it a little

Is it possible to find my air filter at fleet farm? What would I need for a number? Does the air filter actually come of the plastic lid?

Let me know if you would agree with that plan. Just thought there is no point in synch the carbs and afterwards still have to adjust the valves, which would require another synch-ing.

Hope that makes some sense... suggestions or improvements are more than welcome... any of these surgeries will be the first I do on cycles.

You guys have really provided me the knowledge and assurance that I should be able to do this... I keep you posted.

~~Jens
              --- 1989 Katana 750 ---

Comment

Originally posted by dnargsiefil View Post
                Is it possible to find my air filter at fleet farm? What would I need for a number? Does the air filter actually come of the plastic lid?
                Dealer item. I normally carry them, but I'm out. The filter includes the plastic lid. Suzuki part number 13780-20C00. About $40 through most dealers.

Let me know if you would agree with that plan. Just thought there is no point in synch the carbs and afterwards still have to adjust the valves, which would require another synch-ing.
                Agreed. Adjust the valves and then sync.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Just to be prepared. I have seen in another thread the question regarding the size of the screws which go into the carb bowls.
                  Suggestion I have seen is to replace them with better once.
                  I like to pick some up, what is the size wher could I get them?
                  --- 1989 Katana 750 ---

Comment

Just to be prepared. I have seen in another thread the question regarding the size of the screws which go into the carb bowls.
                    Suggestion I have seen is to replace them with better once.
                    I like to pick some up, what is the size wher could I get them?
                    Do you have an Ace Hardware store (or other mom-n-pop hardware store) in the area? Probably there. If not, you'll need to go see a fastener company.

Size I can't remember off the top of my head -- just take one with you

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                      Do you have an Ace Hardware store (or other mom-n-pop hardware store) in the area?
                      yes I do have one, Will take one off and tackle them, what do you call the screws with the sechs-eckigen head. Somewhere I read to replace the screws with these, they don't strip and you get to them better.
                      --- 1989 Katana 750 ---

Comment

Yes, you should replace them.
                        You want Stainless Steel Allen-Headed screws (metric).

Wenn du sie abnehmest, zum Anfang, nutz entweder ein Vice-Grip am Seite die Schraube un es zu drehen, oder ein Impact Driver. Gewöhnliche Schraubenzieher wert es zerfressen, weil die Schrauben Japanische Standard (JIS) sonder als gewöhnliches Phillips-head sind.

Bilder:
                        Passende Vice-Grip:

Impact Driver:

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

M4x.7-10mm

Comment

Yes, I screwed one up already. I tried to get a bowl off without taking the carbs off. Well that is a stupid idea (now I know)... since there is nothing to it, taking the whole line of carbs of and work on them...
                            I will run to the ACE shop maybe tomorrow and also try than to answer the other thread regarding the size...

Have to start contributing with something .

I just hope I get the bike running by doing all this stuff and have some fun with it and don't discover that there was a much bigger reason for the guy selling it in the first place, something like a serious valve do-over or crap I can't do myself and have to pay big $$$.
                            Already hurting buying all the tools and parts thought the bike was in better shape, however I do enjoy having some sort of tools available to do stuff myself ... just

In a couple of month I like to be able to have the grease actually leave my scin for quiet some time...

Originally posted by arsenic1016 View Post
                            M4x.7-10mm
                            Arsenic was faster - again.
                            Last edited by dnargsiefil; 02-25-2008, 08:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                            --- 1989 Katana 750 ---

Comment

I had an 83 V65 once, I took the carbs off, took all rubber parts out and cleaned with carb cleaner, replaced o-rings and that was all that was needed. You may be able to get away with this method too.
                              Jesus, family, me. Psalm 121 Red Pill Mille Clip ATGATT
                              '01 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura
                              '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
                              '11 Kawasaki KLR650
                              I bought my first Kat in 1991, brand new, a red 600. No pics though.

Comment

Looking at the carbs from the outside my first thought was, these were not cleaned for some time. Looking in one of the bowls at least proved different.
                                I guess the shop cleaning them last spring really did not pay attention to the outside whatsoever.

My story I go with right now, that the PO last spring got the bike back after having the carbs cleaned and the bike still did not run so good. Well he may have not selected the option to spend the money for the scheduled valve adjustment... just a thought...

From what I can say right now, the valve adjustment is the smaller job.
                                --- 1989 Katana 750 ---

Comment

Working...
                                X