X

More Carb ?'s

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Carb ?'s

Ok so I am probably way over my head by pulling my carbs off but I am a tinkerer. And the best way to learn I think is to just dive in and get your hands dirty. Guess you should probably look before you leap but oh well. Anywho so I took my carbs of there seemed to be quite a bit of gas still in the carbs is that normal? Oh I have had the tank of for some time now and I thought it had run out of gas but I guess not. Also the fuel that did come out was kinda redish brown thats not right is it? I have only used premium in it and have put some seafoam, octane boost, and carb cleaner in it. All on different tanks though.
    02' Katana 600
    D&D Slip on, 5 Degree Factory Pro advancer, 03' tail fairing, Integrated taillight

Originally posted by ras View Post

there seemed to be quite a bit of gas still in the carbs is that normal?

the fuel that did come out was kinda redish brown thats not right is it?
    Yes. There's prob fuel left in the bowls which will spill out when the carbs are tipped over even if you "think" you ran them dry.

The redish/brownish fuel color is probably because the fuel is old since it's just been sitting in the bowls. Gasoline turns a darker shade when it gets old.

You can probably get away with flushing things out with some brake cleaner and let it dry.

Comment

Red-ish brown gas might be a very good indicator of rust in the tank. Look over the tank very well and if you find rust, look into the por-15 kit to coat the tanks interior. Do this before you finish cleaning the carbs so that junk dont get back into the cleaned carbs. When you do start cleaning the carbs, pay piticular attention to the pilot circuit and the pilot jet, as that is the portion thats prone to the sediment of rust plugging things up. Although this is not the only part that can plug, it is the portion that causes the most problems in the longer term.
      If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
      Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by wcj View Post

The redish/brownish fuel color is probably because the fuel is old since it's just been sitting in the bowls. Gasoline turns a darker shade when it gets old.
        No
        Originally posted by Newbie2it View Post
        Red-ish brown gas might be a very good indicator of rust in the tank.
        Yes . I drained the gas out of a bike that had been sitting for a couple years . Gas that was in the carbs was yellowish , with a hint of green . Looked like gas .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

md, you obviously havent seen old fuel then... old fuel does turn a redish brown color. Yes, it can be rust, but it isnt always rust. Im not sure where you got that the bike has sat for a couple of years. He didnt say that in the original post.
          Last edited by wcj; 02-23-2008, 10:03 AM.

Comment

could it be possible that it isnt that the gasoline turns a darker reddish color when it gets old, but that what we've all been seeing is rust sediment IN the gasoline?

I've just pulled the carbs off my bike and had the same issue. I THOUGH i ran them dry in november, but obviously didn't because when i opened up the drain screws redish gas poured out.

Now, i know that there was rust in my tank for at least all of the last riding season. probably before that too.

my theory is that rust from the tank settles in the carb bowls. when you leave gasoline in there for too long or you use a detergent like seafoam. It gets in your carbs, dissolves some of the rust thats accumulated there and that mixes with your gas causing the reddish color when you drain.

i dunno...seems like a possible explanation..
            '96 600GSXF

Comment

It can certainly be rust. Im not saying it cant be.

MD and Newbie are most likely right about the cause of the gas color, but my comment was to indicate that gas can turn redish color when it gets old even without the presence of rust in the tank.

Comment

I had gas sitting in a can for about a year and it still came out pretty much clearish. Your problem is most likely rust.
                1989 Katana 600
                1999 Camaro Z28

Comment

Originally posted by wcj View Post
                  md, you obviously havent seen old fuel then... old fuel does turn a redish brown color. Yes, it can be rust, but it isnt always rust. Im not sure where you got that the bike has sat for a couple of years. He didnt say that in the original post.
                  Well , I got a CB360 sitting out in the driveway with gas that's been sitting in it for a year last summer (be two years this summer) . Guess I could crack the float drain and see what comes out sometime .....
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

well I have my tank off for painting and I didnt see any signs of rust in the tank.
                    02' Katana 600
                    D&D Slip on, 5 Degree Factory Pro advancer, 03' tail fairing, Integrated taillight

Comment

i would reccomend gettin a red coat done on the tank while its off its just nice to have
                      95 suZuki katana
                      Autozone rattlecan MoD

Comment

Lining the tank as a preventative measure isnt a bad idea. It will prevent any possible future problems with tank rust, plus you have less prep work if you dont currently have rust.

Comment

so where do you get this or where can you get it done at?
                          02' Katana 600

Comment

red coat sucks large farm animals (I know I say that to much) anyway, Yamaha makes an awesome Tank Clean Kit and POR-15 also does. Just don't use cream or red coat. The POR-15 kit actually remves red coat, why, because it sucks

Comment

+1 on POR15. Ive also heard of a tank liner by Wurth, but dont know of anyone that uses it.

Comment

Working...
                              X