X

dog bones - need 'em longer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dog bones - need 'em longer

i've got my new shock on and it raised the rear up a bunch - how much ? well, i didn't think to measure it stock so i don't know.

i've desided to adjust the dog bones. i need a stock measurement and the calculation for the dog bones ( how much longer to make them )

if anybody knows the stock dogbone length & hole diameter that would be good too.

i had my stock shock on preload setting #4

btw - raising the rear after already have the front lowered 3/8 makes for some pretty unstable railing !

tim

I don't know the ratio, but I have seen ones fairly reasonable on ebay to lower the Kat -- you might want to grab a set and see how they work, then use that as the basis for comparison.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Center to center the stock dogbone is 7.5"
      The majority of the lowering links available on ebay are 8" center to center
      From the stock height, the 8" links will lower the bike 2" measured at the tip of the taillight.

Comment

thanks guys

tim

Comment

what shock did you put on your kat?

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic13
            what shock did you put on your kat?
            RF900

tim

Comment

installing dog bones

well - for testing the ride height i made a set of 8 " on center dogbones from 1/4 steel plate. easy enough but a pain to assemble with the swingarm on the bike.

removed the rear wheel
              removed the lower shock nut & bolt
              removed the lower dogbone nut & bolt

that allows the rear of the swingarm to drop down ( almost to the floor )

removed both left & right foot pegs
              the upper dogbones bolt can then be accessed with a 4" extension
              and the bolt will slide out the left side.

you'll need the torque the upper dog bones before raising the swingarm - so put the nut & bolt through the lower dogbones holes but not through the cush lever - this will keep them aligned while torqueing the upper bolt.

mount the lower shock bolt & lower dog bone bolt through the cush lever & torque to spec. - mouont the rear wheel & adjust the chain.

tim

Comment

So how's the handling now?
                '92 Kat restoration/mod project

Comment

Originally posted by floxera
                  So how's the handling now?
                  sucks

the 8" on center bones are too long - the rear is too low. since i'm in test mode here i cut out a pair of bones out of 1/4 steel - this morning i cut another set 7 3/4" on center. that should get it right. so i get to do it all over again -

tim

Comment

Working...
                  X