X

Sprocket Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprocket Question

I have put in an order for a 16T front sprocket. I found this thread to help me instal it. (http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...procket+change). however I was wondering...

Can I change the front sprocket without having to remove the chain and rear tire. I thought if I am able to loosen the rear tire and slide it foward, will the chain give me enough slack to remove the front sprocket and switch them?
    myspace
    2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

I do believe that you can Mat. Just stabilize your bike. Loosen the chain adjustment, slide your tire forward and then go to work on the front sprocket. You might not be able to get the cain off the front sprocket but with the added slack you should be able to take the chain and sprocket off together. and just out of curiosity... why are you changing front sprockets?

Comment

90% of my riding is on the interstate. I changing from a 15T to a 16T front to lower the rpms and save a little gas in the mean time. It's not a huge change, but a little should be fine for now. I eventually will change the rear sprocket from 45T to 43T and get a new chain. I figured for now I could spend the $30 & change the front myself.
      myspace
      2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

before you do anything that involves moving the rear tire do this: Have someone apply pressure to the rear break and break the front sprocket nut loose. You'll thank me later.

Comment

hahah right.. forgot that Arsenic... if not you will have a HELL of a time trying to break that nut loose

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic1016 View Post
            before you do anything that involves moving the rear tire do this: Have someone apply pressure to the rear break and break the front sprocket nut loose. You'll thank me later.
            yes, that is one of the things I read in the link above
            myspace
            2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

Yeah , you CAN put on the new sprocket without removing the chain . But it'll be a *****..... If you pop the rear wheel off though , to give you more slack for the chain , it'll help . Did some of that a couple years ago trying to replace the countershaft seal .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
              X