X

troulbe with the bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• troulbe with the bike

i picked the bike up from the shop today and the macanic was not around to talk to. i took it home started it up. first off the choke is real touchy on how much you move it vs how high the rpms go. so i finley was able to shut it off and let it idel. took it out for a spin and noticed the rpms are kinda hanging not droping down when i pull the clutch or when im crusing and let off the gas. drove it back home and put it in nutrial and its ideling at 3 or 4 thousand rpms. i looked in the k&n box i got back from them and both velocity rings are still in the box. did he not use them? could that explain why he was having trouble geting it adjusted right and why its ideling so high? hes out for the day so ill have to call him tommrow. any ideas or tohughts. im just in a ranting mood right now

For as long as they had that, they should have seen that in the "Test Ride" they took after completing your bike. Take it back, tell them you want it done right, and your not paying.
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

Loosen the throttle cables at the adjustors and retest. Sounds like too tight a throttle cable. Then use the idle adjustment thumbwheel to set the idle down (if you can). If not, back to the mechanic.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

well i put the small velocity ring in and ill go let it warm up and try adjusting the idle speed where is the screw on the pre 98s? also think i need to have the carbs retuned after puting the ring in? and how long does it have to run befor i can take the plus out and check thier color? and whats a good color?

Comment

ok i went to the garage and looked it over heres what its doing. starts up almost with out any choke choke it for like a min and it will run with out it. blip the throttle every so often and the warmer the engine gets the slower the rpms fall back to idle. finley when its real warmed up after runing a long time if you blip it it goes up then comes down and stays between 2 and 3 thousand rmp. any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by lucky6man
            ok i went to the garage and looked it over heres what its doing. starts up almost with out any choke choke it for like a min and it will run with out it. blip the throttle every so often and the warmer the engine gets the slower the rpms fall back to idle. finley when its real warmed up after runing a long time if you blip it it goes up then comes down and stays between 2 and 3 thousand rmp. any ideas?
            Sounds like either too tight a throttle cable or gunked up carb passages. Loosen the throttle cables, and run a 1/3rd of a bottle of techron through with a fresh full tank of gas, and it should be resolved.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

where can i get techron? i just put 1/3 of sea foam in. the guy just had the carbs all apart and put a jet kit in i dont see whay they would be dirty. i have yet to adjust the idle speed do i hvae to take the tank off for that? thr cable still has a little slack in it when i left off the thotttle all the way i can feel it befor it starts pulling on it. so i dont think its the cable.

Comment

where can i get techron? i just put 1/3 of sea foam in. the guy just had the carbs all apart and put a jet kit in i dont see whay they would be dirty. i have yet to adjust the idle speed do i hvae to take the tank off for that? thr cable still has a little slack in it when i left off the thotttle all the way i can feel it befor it starts pulling on it. so i dont think its the cable.
                (A) Check throttle cable tightness by turning the handlebars. If the RPM's vary at all between full-left, center and full-right, a throttle cable is too tight.

(B) If you have sea foam in there, skip the techron until after you burn through the sea foam -- if the sea foam doesn't fix the issue in the first place. Since I've never seen/used sea foam, I have no clue how it'd mix with techron and what the end result might be.

(C) Just becuse he installed a jet kit doesn't mean that he actually disassembled every nook and cranny of the carbs and physically cleaned them -- a jetkit install is a 10 minute job once you get the carbs out; basically replace the needles, main jets, and change the pilot screw settings, plus sometimes the needle springs also get changed. This is not the same as disassembly and full cleaning of all the passages, etc. Based on your symptoms, it sounds like some of the passages have fuel residue in them -- which the techron would remove (and I'm going to guess the sea foam will do something similar).

Typical symptoms for fuel residue dried in the smaller passages: Idle falls to between 3k and 2k, then remains there for 30 - 90 seconds before falling the rest of the way (if it falls further at all). Idle never goes under what it should be.

PS - Techron is available at most auto parts stores, walmart, target, and Chevron gas stations. It may also be available elsewhere.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

ok i let it heat up all the way it droped the idle speed down spryed some carb cleaner in it went up and dint come back down so i droped it some more did that like twice. now its fully warmed and ideling fine and the rpms fall faster now. ill let it idel for awhile then pull a plug. what color should it be? i wonder how har it will be to start when cold now

Comment

ok i did some reading and if i get it to start ok and run and heat up from being cold. and its runing rich still should i just tell them to lower the fuel leval in the carb bowls? and see if that helps?

Comment

Give it 24 hours and drive it a bit -- let the sea foam do it's work. Then if it's still acting up, contact the jet kit manufacturer, pass him all the info, get their response and take it back to the mechanic with that info. Or find another member in your area who is fluent in carbs

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                        Or find another member in your area who is fluent in carbs

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Um I could get it fixed for you and wright up a profesional looking bill for a few hundred bucks for you to take to them if they dont give you your money bact tell them you will take them to court for it and more since they had it for over a month.
                        PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
                        The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

ok i started it up today after leting it cool down over night. started easy choked it for only a min. befor it ran on its own. then as its warming up i blip it and rpms start falling at 3000 real slow. im not sure how it would run after totaly heated did'nt have time to do that but im sure it runs fine if you give it 15 20 min to heat up. but thats still not right.

Comment

ok i started it up today after leting it cool down over night. started easy choked it for only a min. befor it ran on its own. then as its warming up i blip it and rpms start falling at 3000 real slow. im not sure how it would run after totaly heated did'nt have time to do that but im sure it runs fine if you give it 15 20 min to heat up. but thats still not right.
                            Same two causes:
                            Too tight a throttle cable, or varnish build-up.
                            I know that running through a whole tank of Techron will cure it -- I expect running through all the sea foam probably well also (as I said before -- I've never used sea foam, so I'm not sure).

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

dumped some sea foam in it. dads got some extra techron i may try as soon as it runs out of gas. called the tech he said bring it by tommrow at 5 so we can mess with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X