Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Why EXACTLY can't Katanas ride wheelies?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why EXACTLY can't Katanas ride wheelies?

I have been wondering this for a while. Is there anything that can be done to help enable wheelies on a katana 750?

Change your sprocket sizes.
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

It's possible to do a wheelie, you just have to clutch it. and being new to this site, just to warn you talk about wheelies around here is not something that is cool. It's more of a childish and dangerous thing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by bonstrosity
        It's possible to do a wheelie, you just have to clutch it. and being new to this site, just to warn you talk about wheelies around here is not something that is cool. It's more of a childish and dangerous thing to do.
        Well, unless you are in a area away from traffic, and not going to put anyone in danger except for yourself. Some may flame you, others will defend you. Just know that there are consequences to every action.

On that note, I am gona go ride without my hemet now...
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

I'm told any bike with a clutch can wheelie if you know how . Careful .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

yea, there is pleanty of info about wheelies right here try this link ill work, and a buddy of mine at worked stook mine up for bout 50-60 yards, and all mine had done was a jet kit and exhaust at the time

Comment

First I'm going to cover why we all say it can't (or more accurately, shouldn't) be done:

(A) The bike is not designed for it. As a sports-tourer, it has a long wheelbase and a heavy frame, which means that it takes substancially more power to lift it than a comparable-displacement sport bike. Kind of like holding your arm out straight with a 50 lb weight on string tied to your wrist is a lot harder than holding a 20 lb weight tied to your upper arm.

(B) The suspension isn't designed for it. At the price-point the Kat is built for, the suspension components are quite cheaply made (which is why there are so many threads on suspension upgrades). While you can get it up, landing again can mean bottoming out the forks and subsequently loosing control (as well as damaging various parts when you bottom out).

(C) The engine isn't designed for it. Unlike some motorcycles where the oil pick-up is at the rear center of a V-shaped oil sump area, the Kat's engine has it's oil sump pick-up off to one side in a flat pool and tilting it up significantly will take the pick-up out of the oil pool. This means it's starving the engine for oil during these maneuvers.

(D) The front subframe weights (esp 98+) and the steering head bearing aren't built for it. The rack that supports the front of the fairings, the headlights and everything else forward of the handlebars is loaded up with quite a bit of weight. This weight will want to keep moving ground-wards on a hard landing (I've seen someone wheelie'ing a kat have everything up there slam to the ground as a result of a hard landing). Additionally, the steering head bearings usually take the toll as well... That's a lot of expensive parts to replace.

And because of all of the above, and the fact that it's a very heavy bike, the Kat is a very bad platform to learn to wheelie on or to wheelie on in general. Far easier (and often cheaper in the long run) to grab a dirt bike or some other little bike and learn on it instead. It's not some failure of the Kat -- just a difference in engineering design requirements and the solutions Suzuki used to deliver a product that was intended for other purposes.

Now, having said all that, the Kat puts out enough torque that with the proper technique and appropriate changes in sprocket gearing, you can wheelie all day long (or until the engine gives out from a lack of oil and/or you ruin something else). You will have to compromise your top speed by doing the sprocket changes (since you are effectively trading top-end HP for more torque when you do the appropriate sprocket conversion), and your fuel mileage will go to crap (plus your speedo will be off in the 98+ models, since it reads off the front sprocket), but it can be done.

And so no one has to repost this topic again, I've turned it into a webpage: http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/kata...a_wheelie.html

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I could not have said it better myself. I have a 750 with alot of engine improvments done. I ride the heck out of my bike. But I have never lifted the front wheel. I spent a good amount of time in the hospital from doing that once on a GSXR750 and will never do it again. The thrill derived from the front end lifting maybe a momentary high but the end result = one of three things. Ticket, broken bike, Broken rider. You may land a 100 of them with out a scratch to you or your bike. But it only takes one to make you walk with a limp for the rest of your life. (much Like me) Thats if you can walk away. You want thrills go to the track and improve your skills and read "twist of the wrist" That will gain you self respect and the respect of other "True" riders. There is nothing better than a great day on the twisties. But a bike with out a steering bearing can't go so fast. Then again neither can a bike with a banged up or dead rider.

Just my .02

This is an amazing machine if you respect it. You have to remember the Kat is like a fine woman she will love you as long as you are kind to her. You start beating the crap out of her she will either quit on you or..... Kill you when you least expect it.

Zach

Check out www.Atozhometheater.com

Comment

I have only wheelied at the drag strip. If you want to do it rev it up to 4k and drop the clutch. If that does not work go up to 4.5k, thats what I do, but I am big. But, if you do it traffic you are asking to be crippled. Plus you could destroy certain parts.
                  Is Effingham a swear word?

Comment

-1 front sprocket and at least a +5 in the rear should do nicely - that will give a roughly a 18% increase in torque at the back tire....

All of the things that make a katana a poor choice for wheelies make it excellent for sustained, stable, high speed operation. Like commuting to work on the freeway.

Front weight bias, heavy steel frame, tall gearing...
                    I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Thanks everyone!!

I appreciate everyones comments. I baby this bike more than any other that I have had. This is my first brand new motorcycle. I had a 98 katana 600 and now it is the 05 katana 750. I like speed and I am very happy with two wheels on the ground. Thanks CyberPoet. That is what answer I was really looking for. Ever since I was recommended to this website by Special K, I have enjoyed riding and searching for new items for my bek even more. I was suprised to see that there were other people out there who enjoy the comfort of the Katana. Thanks again for everyones help.

Comment

I have lifted the front wheel a time or too on my bike, but never out in plain view of the public. Most things people have covered are correct. These are heavy bikes and doing wheelies puts alot of undue stress on alot of parts of the bike. I have a 89 750. It will pull the front wheel without any effort at all. So I have to be careful. It is ok to do it from time to time. If you do it alot you will run into problems with your bike. I know. I blew my headlight fuse this past sunday from standing it up. Yes everyone it is in the video I did. Anyway use your best judgement. After all it is you who will have to pay for it when it is said and done.
                        www.mopowersports.com

Comment

anyone have pics to post of damage caused by wheelies, other than that caused by losing control and/or ditching the bike afterwards?

Comment

I do not have any but I am sure there are some around. I know it is hell on your steering head bearings.
                            www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Thought you all might like a look.

Tokalosh

Comment

Working...
                              X