X

EXHAUST PROBLEM !!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXHAUST PROBLEM !!!

I have a 1997 600 Katana and I purchased a Vance and Hines SS2-R full exhaust system for it. When I tried to put it on my bike I realized the flange on the header is 1 inch longer than my stock pipes. The instructions tell me to use the stock bolts but the bolts don't even reach the nutplates with that extra inch there. Even with new longer bolts the pipe leans up against the oil pan and points straight toward the ground instead of straight to the rear of the bike. Vance and Hines told me it was the right system for a 97 so I don't know what the frick the problem is. Anyway have any answers?

Did you replace the gaskets? Honestly I've never heard this happening... hmmmm

Comment

The gaskets are new too. They don't effect much though. I'm talking about an extra inch on the new headers which is alot. I have heard some people say 98+ has a more shallow oil pan which might let the pipes clear but I have a 97 bike with what V+H says is a 97 pipe. I just don't get it.

Comment

Have V&H double check and cross reference their number against a 1990-95 600. A LOT of companies get the crossover year wrong and put the 97's with the new style. 600 parts are all interchangeable 89-97 so pick an earlier year and see if it's still the same number. If it is.....I'm stumped, I have a D&D.
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

V+H told me their exhaust works for 89-97. I can't even find a full system by any other company.

Comment

Contact V&H back and see what they have to say -- it may have been a part number screw up in their packaging/labeling at the plant. If it's hitting the oil pan on a pre-98, it's a post-98 exhaust header.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Which is what I was hoping.... turns out they don't make any headers or full systems for 98+.

Comment

Does anybody have an aftermarket full exhaust on their 97?

Comment

the only place that makes a full system for the pre 98's are vance and hines and D&D. Vance and Hines makes the supersport and the ss2-r which you have. I work in a suzuki dealer as a motorcycle tech and have never had a problem fitting the ss2-r. They may have shipped you the system for the kat 1100, that system has longer headers.

Comment

I have checked and rechecked all the part numbers with V+H and am starting to wonder if my bike has a different engine than stock. I bought it used but I really doubt this is the problem. From your experience installing exhaust on pre 98, do you know the length of the flange is on the end of the header pipe? My stock headers have a 1/2 inch flange. The Vance and hines has a 1 1/4 inch.

Comment

I have the SS2R on my bike and it fits perfect. It does snuggle close to the oil pan but that is how it goes. I was able to use the same bolts that I had with my other system. Which was a Yosh. If you need pics of my exhaust I can take some for you. Did you put the round spigots on? When I got my system I did not have a clue what they were for. You mount up the spigots to the engine. then you put the header up there which is held in place by springs and they are a BIATCH to get on. Then you mount the mid pipe with the springs then the canister with the springs. If I am correct it sounds like you are trying to mount the header directly to the engine and that will not work at all. I did that and ran into the same problem. V&H instructions suck major ARSE. If you need help send me a pm with your number and I can call you and walk you thru it if you do not understand what I am saying.
                      www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by AkBigN
                        am starting to wonder if my bike has a different engine than stock.
                        Taking the number off the engine and calling either the dealership or Suzuki America will let you know what engine it is, and whether it is stock or not.

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

PM HS2020, sounds like he's got a handle on your situation.

Comment

Hey HS2020, I sent you a pm with my number on it. If you didn't get it let me know. If you did, I'll stand anxiously by the phone waiting.

Comment

HS2020. I just took a look at your bike and it looks like a 750. I think the 750 is different than the 600. My exhaust system didn't come with any of the parts you mentioned earlier. A V+H tech rep finally got back to me and he found out the 97's had some changes and they never changed their kits to match. I do in fact have to buy some longer bolts and apparently if I mount the system from the can forward it should give it clearance off the oil pan. I'm going to give it a shot after work and I'll tell you how it goes. By the way. Thanks everybody for all the responses. This forum is helping me out a ton.

Comment

Working...
                              X