X

89 750 WHATS GOING ON

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 750 WHATS GOING ON

STARTED MY BIKE PULL IN CHOCK IDLE KICK UP TO ABOUT 5000 SO I TRIED TO ADJ. CHOKE TO ABOUT 3000 BUT THE IDLE JUST STAYED AT 5000 SO I CUT BIKE OFF AND BIKE ON AGAIN IDLE DROP TO 3000 BUT I COULD NOT GET IN TO GO DOWN ANY WIGGLED THE CHOCK NOTING SO I CUT THE BIKE OFF WHATS GOING ON ??????
    "LOOK EARL ITS KARMA'S ARMY MADE UP OF THE PEOPLE FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD"

the cable is probably not closing the choke all the way. hit it closed with your finger.

tim
    Attached Files

Comment

IS THE CABLE WORN DOES IT HAVE TO BE OIL

Comment

It may be both, but it is a good bet you have some build up in the carbs gumming up the choke, so it doesn't spring back open.
        AMA member # 224227

Comment

If it where my bike and the cable was sticking I would just replace it.IMO

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by suzuki2000
            If it where my bike and the cable was sticking I would just replace it.IMO
            They are like $16 delivered from BikeBandit. Pull the cable and replace it along with spraying a little cleaner on the choke shaft at the carbs (trincs pic), should clear right up. If it doesn't you have a vacume leak but right now I'd say the likely villan is a bad cable.
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

I'm going to guess vacuum leak, but there's a simple way to tell: disconnect the choke cable all together, push the choke bar that the cable activates in, and see if the idle drops to where it should be. Remember that you only need to use the choke as little as possible -- 2k RPM max, 30 seconds max normally -- if it still needs help at that point, use the throttle to help keep it up (if you have a centerstand, putting it in 1st on the centerstand will help keep it running without choke, as the rear wheel will act as a flywheel).

If it is a vacuum leak, you can track it down by spraying WD40 on the various air passages while the engine is running. When it hits the leak, it will change RPM's.

Good Luck!
              =-= The CyberPoet

PS - turn off the caps, please?!
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

CAPS LOCK=YELLING
                PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
                The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

bike has been sitting all winter with and i need to drain old gas and run cleaner trough it ill try to play with weds let u guys know how it works out

Comment

ok went today tryed it and a had to push it in it pull out fine but will not close how do i clean it so it stops sticking

Comment

Originally posted by bigtwan251975
                      ok went today tryed it and a had to push it in it pull out fine but will not close how do i clean it so it stops sticking
                      You take the cable off at both ends, then spray WD-40 through it while working it up and down. Then you give up, throw it in the trash and order a new one. Usually by the time it's sticking badly, it's already rusted and damaged down inside the sheath -- easy way to tell (but it will demolish your cable): cut one end-weight off right where it is and pull the cable out of the sheath by the other end. If it's still 100%, bicycle shops sell the lead and tool to put a new end on the cable.

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                      X