X

does this sound good?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does this sound good?

i just got back fomr the dealer becuase i went to yell at them for taking 4 weeks to work on my bike. the guy said he just got the carbs synced on sat. and he still needs to take it for a test drive and fine tune it. he said its runing rich and hes not sure why. he has the carbs set to all the right specs. but may make adjustments after he test rides it. he also said my valves are probley all carboned up and i should just sea foam the gas for awhile. does that all sound right?

No , it sounds like your bike has some problems . Next question ?
    Sounds like he's on to something , but you gotta figure out WHY it's running rich . Maybe some o-rings have gone bad in the carbs or something . good carb cleaner/carbon remover something-or-other IS a good idea , and there are several things you can buy/do to get rid of that stuff . Supposedly Techron works good . I've heard Kawi-kleen( or maybe Kawi-chem sp?) works good for that . Also some old shade-tree tricks like sraying water/dish soap into the intake while the engine's running .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Double post .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Sea Foam works really well, but I've never heard of using it on a bike. I know that with cars the preferred method of delivery into the motor is through the intake. There's a post on another forum I read for how to use it on your car, although I'm not sure how well it would translate to using it on a bike.

Comment

seafoam works great on bikes. I would suggest that you go out and buy the arosol can I think it is called deep creep and spray it right into the carbs.
          PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
          The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

well i happen to already have a can of sea foam i picked up for free a few weeks back so ill try that. i just hope it runs good when i get it back.

Comment

If you suspect heavy carbon build-up and you use a chemical product to "clean" it out, remember that a lot of it will end up in your oil -- and carbon is a material that loves to scratch the *#$% out of cylinders because of how hard it is (think diamonds -- they're pure carbon). So change your oil afterwards

I haven't tried seafoam, but do use Techron on a regular basis... Using fuels high in detergents (Chevron, Shell V3, etc) will also help clear out excess fouling.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

cyber you may be able to answer this one. would him using the larger velocity ring vs the smaller one for the k&n make a diffrence in why he cant get the carbs to run right. its a 97 600 by the way

Comment

Originally posted by lucky6man
                  cyber you may be able to answer this one. would him using the larger velocity ring vs the smaller one for the k&n make a diffrence in why he cant get the carbs to run right. its a 97 600 by the way
                  Yes.
                  The large diameter ring is for the stage 3 kits; the small is for stage 1 kits (and OEM jetting, from what I understand). Using the large diameter ring with anything less than a stage 3 kit would lean out the mix too much normally... And thus, correcting for it would effectively be the same as adjusting the jetkit to the stage 3 settings (which also require an aftermarket exhaust from end-to-end normally)

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

ok well he said its rich so im guessing that the large ring cant be the problem then? im not sure what one hes got in it. ill ask tommrow when i go to pick it up

Comment

Working...
                    X