Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Problem Finding after re-assembling everything.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem Finding after re-assembling everything.

So i put my bike back together today. Everything was completely apart. After strainging my muscles with the engine everything went smooth.

except

I put a bit too much oil into the spark plug holes before I started it, so it took a while for it to burn out. (by the way, what are the consequences of putting too much oil in there?) My exhaust is much louder in the front than I remember it. A bit of oil came out the front of the headers (since I put too much oil). So since oil came out from there, the gaskets weren't doing their job. Do you think that why my exhaust is too loud? The gaskets were brand new before I started the bike. Also the bike will start up very well, but it will want to die after a little time, is that due to the oil on them?
    1989 Suzuki Katana 750

possibly fouled your plugs

Comment

ill prob get yelled at , but you could have fouled your plugs, and yea you may, want to get rid of that oil between the motor,gasket,header so you have a solid seal, depending on what kind of gaskets you used, you may beable to clean and reuse because you really didnt wear them at all

Comment

sounds like a exhaust leak to me, you might have the half moon shaped shims in backward on the header pipe.
        TDA Racing/Motorsports
        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
        Who knows what is next?
        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

There are different levels of too much oil...

A teaspoon to a tablespoon is the right amount per cylinder -- and it will smoke a little when you first fire it up as it burns off the excess, but that's fine. This is standard for an engine that hasn't been run in months... if it ran last week, half a teaspoon will normally do just as well. And you may still get some plug fouling, but it should burn off if you let the plugs & engine come all the way up to temp during that first run.

A couple tablespoons is too much and it will probably cause you to foul your plugs, but that should be about it -- and of course it'll take longer to burn off.

A quarter of a cup is way way too much, and that much will actually give you problems because as the piston comes up (once the intake valve seals down), you are trying to compress a liquid -- which the engine isn't designed to do -- and it can ruin piston rods, valves, etc.
          To put that into perspective: on a 600 Kat, the cylinders are just a bit under 150cc's. 150cc's isn't that big a space to begin with -- a bit under a half a 12 oz soda can, a bit over a half of an 8 ounce "standard" measuring cup.
          A 750 engine has cylinders that hold just a hair over a half a 12 ounce soda can't contents.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I put in about 50cc in total. If the plugs are fouled I can just clean them right?
            1989 Suzuki Katana 750

Comment

Originally posted by 89katana750
              I put in about 50cc in total. If the plugs are fouled I can just clean them right?
              Depends on what you use to clean them and how fouled they are. If they are oil-fouled, you can usually spray them down with carb cleaner; if the oil turned to carbon, you won't be able to just clean them -- you'd have to use a spark plug blaster (kind of like a mini sand-blaster, but uses plastic beads) to clean them...

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

They were oil fouled, so I cleaned them like you said and she runs fine now, except the exhaust leak at the headers. Thanks for the help.
                1989 Suzuki Katana 750

Comment

Working...
                X