X

oil filter wrench question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil filter wrench question

Hi all, I'm doing the first oil change on my recently purchased 03 (750). Without taking the header off, do I still need to buy the Suzuki oil filter wrench or have one of u-all find a way around this? The dealer charged me $14 for the filter and I sure the wrench will be double that amount.
    Many thanks.
    Alex
    Alex - 03 750Kat for street, 01 DRZ400e for dirty fun stuff. Stay safe and ride well…

Just changed my oil and filter today (meant to yesterday) and you will need to get a cap type wrench and an extension. I only paid $7.00 for it at Suzuki here. No other style wrench that I know of will get between the header pipes. There is no need to take the header off. It's a very easy job. Just drop the lower cowl and it's really no different than changing the oil and filter on a car. Just make sure it's on level ground and on the center stand.

Comment

The oil cap wrench adaptor is Suzuki part number 09915-40610 and lists for around $7. Attaches to a 3/8" drive extention, which can then be passed through the headers.

TIP:
      Put a layer of aluminum foil over the headers under where the oil filter mounts, so when you pull the old one off, the oil won't soak into the header -- this will keep it from smoking off later.

TIP 2:
      Suzuki says the stock filter is good until for 3 oil changs (change every third oil change, except for the 600 mile service where it must be changed). It's rare to do that in the USA, but in many countries in the world it is common practice to follow the manufacturer's instructions on the life of the oil filter. This does not apply to any aftermarket filters.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

you'll be doing this many times, spend the few bucks and make your life easier.

tim

Comment

You have some great info there and all I can add is what I use.
          TDA Racing/Motorsports
          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
          Who knows what is next?
          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Some filters have a nut on the end of them you can grab with a socket ...
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

just get the wrench, it makes things easier. Mine was definately under 10$ from the dealer
              Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
                You have some great info there and all I can add is what I use.
                I bougth a wrench like that from Pep Boys. It was about $7 and worth the investment . You can also order them from Dennis Kirk for $10. Shipping maybe an issues, bhut if you combine the order with filters and oil it may be worth it.

Comment

You know , anymore I don't even use a wrench . I just tighten it down as best I can with my hand , and when it's time to come off I can twist it back off again the same way . Leather work gloves help , as that thing WILL get pretty hot . Not for everyone I guess , but it works for me . I haven't useed my oil filter tool in a LONG time .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

You mean you have to change the filter too???

Man, this is getting to be to much, I am getting out mf motorcycles, and into Kite flying!!!
                    Kan-O-Gixxer!
                    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                    -Ohlins Susupension
                    -Various Other Mods

Comment

hand

I always just screw it on and off by hand too it never leaks

Comment

I had bought an Oil Filter Wrench that basically looks like a pair of plyers with long handles and it works fine for me. Do not need to take the headers off. get the oil filter off from side of bike. The cap type oil filter wrenches would work much better/easier though.
                        -jason

Welcome to Katriders! Click Here to Register

RIP ROB (AKA BREEZE)

Comment

Thanks everyone, I purchased the Suzuki oil filter wrench and it worked like a charm. I'm amazed on how the various dealers will either gouge you on the price or be fair about it. For example, my local dealer wanted $14. A dealer closer to my work (about 30 miles from the house) sold it to me for just under $4 including tax for the same OEM item. Go figure and shame to those who take advantage of others. Kinda like the oil companies...
                          Alex - 03 750Kat for street, 01 DRZ400e for dirty fun stuff. Stay safe and ride well…

Comment

Working...
                          X