X

wider tire....?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wider tire....?

ok guys i'm sure this has been asked before but i'm dumb....

ok i have a 150 on the rear now and i now ride it edge to edge and acctually had to slow down today around a turn because i was afraid of leaning too much and sliding out the back end.

2 questions...

1 - i have heard a 170/60/17 will fit .... true? and do they make a 170/55 or 50 to give more side riding?

2 - i also have heard if you get a new rear you chould get a new front because the different tread patterns could mess you up... true?

i really don't want to buy a new front since it only have 2k on it, but seriously need a wider rear tire.

i just have the stock michelins that come on it now. anyone know of any compatible rear treads.

Re: wider tire....?

Originally posted by SnatchBox
    i'm dumb....
    You said it, not me.

Comment

if you want better traction, a wider tire is the wrong approach... the wide tire on a narrow(er) rim will distort the tread profile, either reducing the contact patch (at "normal" pressures) or substantially increasing rolling resistance and tire wear (at lower pressures to compensate for the distorted profile)... suit yourself, but believe it or not, suzuki actually had something in mind when they "decided" what tire sizes/profiles to equip and recommend... find a softer compound in the stock sizes... thank me later...
      a

gather 'round, children

Comment

i'm not afraid of losing grip i am afraid of leaning too far and running out of tire

keeping the smae tire size but softer i don't think would solve the problem since i would still run out of tire...

i don't know

new to bikes and don't really know much

any more opinions?

Comment

If you're new to bikes then I would worry more about getting thoroughly familiar with the bike before I started trying test the lean angle. You'll be dragging knees long before you run out of tire. Don't rush it, learn the bike & it's quirks, the handling "tests" will come in time.

Comment

the macadams have a very 'touring' profile. a good sport tire will allow you to lean more - you can go to a MAX of 160 ( what i run ) and you'll be scraping hard parts before you run out of tire.

or ... get your butt farther off the seat to reduce lean angle.

but i wouldn't be railing with that tire..... get rid of them quickly.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by SnatchBox
              i'm not afraid of losing grip i am afraid of leaning too far and running out of tire
              If you have GOOD tires , you can (in theory) lean all the way over far enough to scrape parts before running out of tire . Seen it myself . Takes practice to get comfortable leaning over THAT far though . Seen some crazy people at the Gap use the WHOLE tire and drag knees and stuff with stock size tires ...
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

The stock Michelin Macadam has an gradual arc shape (single apex) that is very poor for handling. Suzuki uses it for a couple reasons -- it's cheap for them in bulk, and it discourages young bucks who have this as their first bike from pushing it beyond their limits (as evidenced by you saying you felt as if the back end would give out). This has zero to do with the fact that it's a 150/70ZR17, and everything to do with the fact that it's a Macadam (commonly called Crap-a-damns around here).

Moving to a Metzeler Z6 all around (120/70ZR17 front, 150/70ZR17 rear) will fix this issue, as will switching out to Pirelli Diablos (where you have to use a 160/60ZR17 rear because it's not offered in a 150/70ZR17). A pair of Z6's will run you right around $200 - $220 mail order; you may be able to find a local price in that ballpark after you factor in mounting costs (many dealers mount tires they sell cheaper than they mount tires from elsewhere, since they've made their money on the tire as well).

As for running mismatched tires -- don't do it. There are several reasons, including:
                The front tire "sweeps" for the rear's tread pattern. Mismatched tread patterns will not permit correct sweeping and may cost you a loss of rear traction on water, sand, etc.
                The arc design between the tires is designed to work together, so that as the bike leans, both tires are offering the same surface to the ground in unison rather than exerting stress through the frame due to an imbalance in angles (which again can cause loss of traction).

If you feel the stock tires aren't up to snuff (they aren't), replace them and sell the existing ones on eBay to help offset the cost -- someone will want them.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                X