X

Repacking a Can

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repacking a Can

What i was wondering is what is the difference in sound and performance with packing the can differently or are there any. will it be quieter if i pack it more, or viseversa. What is the best balance with repacking a can. btw i have a full yoshi exhaust on a 813 kat
    thanks for you help
    The Katana's Big Brother
    1999 1200s StreetFighter Bandit

Use the recommended amount. The big difference comes from the material being there in good condition -- it sucks up more high frequency noise than low frequency noise (but will suck up both). If you use way too much you kill the air space between the batting and the exhaust gas pressure waves won't want to penetrate it well (thus making it act as if there isn't batting there) and when the batting breaks down, it will want to sink into your exhaust system (usually gets blown out, but if too much of it gives at once, it can block you up).

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

where can i find the recomended amount
      The Katana's Big Brother
      1999 1200s StreetFighter Bandit

Comment

Originally posted by katana91
        where can i find the recomended amount
        The exhaust manufacturer's kit from the same firm normally contains the recommended amount, or you can visit the manufacturer's website and see if they have a description. If not, you'll have to figure it out...

Good Luck!
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

How often do they need repacking? Can you tell when they do? Does it break down due to time in general, or only actual riding time?
          fulcrum (aka David)
          Blue 2004 GSX750F
          Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.--Isaac Asimov
          If you can keep your head, while all around you are losing theirs, then you probably aren't grasping the situation

Crash virginity lost: March 6th 2005

Comment

Originally posted by fulcrum
            How often do they need repacking? Can you tell when they do? Does it break down due to time in general, or only actual riding time?

They usually need repacking every other year (the big advantage of the stock exhaust is that it doesn't use the matting, so it never needs to be repacked). You can tell when some of them need repacking -- when they're not yours -- because you can hear the difference. The problem with your own is that the change in tone alters slowly as the glass fibers break down and settle (or get blown out) -- so you can't readily tell. The good news is that the packing material is cheap ($18 - $30 USD), so it's not a big financial hit to repack it.

And since the damage to the glass matting is due to the exhaust pressure waves, if the bike goes unridden it doesn't need repacking.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Great post, like normal.

Thanks again cyber.
              fulcrum (aka David)
              Blue 2004 GSX750F
              Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.--Isaac Asimov
              If you can keep your head, while all around you are losing theirs, then you probably aren't grasping the situation

Crash virginity lost: March 6th 2005

Comment

I recently took my Vance and Hines apart and the fiberglass is pretty well torn up. I bought my bike wrecked so the bolts that hold the can together were ground down. I had to drill them out. I am going to try to use large rivits to put it back together. Does anyone see any problems with that?
                1995 Katana 750 for sale in Bikes for sale section.

Comment

Originally posted by djturnz
                  I recently took my Vance and Hines apart and the fiberglass is pretty well torn up. I bought my bike wrecked so the bolts that hold the can together were ground down. I had to drill them out. I am going to try to use large rivits to put it back together. Does anyone see any problems with that?
                  None at all -- most aftermarket cans are held together by rivets and not bolts.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                    [ The good news is that the packing material is cheap ($18 - $30 USD), so it's not a big financial hit to repack it.

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Even cheaper than that from JCW . I just bought some myself (less than $5 for the fiberglass) ! Just waiting on a rivet gun from a friend ...
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                    X