X

Individual air filters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Individual air filters?

Has anyone tried putting individual cone-type filters on the carbs instead of the shared air box and filter? I'm wondering if it's possible and if it will provide any additional power with or without a jet kit...

Pods....must be used with a jet kit (stage 3)

Comment

Originally posted by kickitjp
      Pods....must be used with a jet kit (stage 3)
      Correct, and currently no one is offering a stage 3 kit for the 98+ Kats that I'm aware of (the three jetkit vendors I'm aware of -- K&N/DynoJet, Ivan's Performance Products, and FactoryPro -- do not offer a stage 3 kit for the 98+ Kats).

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I would not recommend it for street use. The carbs need the vacuum created in the shared box for them to operate smoothly at small throttle changes. Keep the stock box and filter and throw a stage I kit at it...
        My first aid kit comes with lights and siren

But sir, we are Navy SEALs, we are supposed to be surrounded...

Comment

unless you have done internal engine work (cams, overbore, etc) this is only going to make your carbs hard to tune...

Call Ivan and tell him what you have and what you want it to do...
          I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

I don't have any work done at the moment, and don't really know what I want to do with the Kat. This was SUPPOSED to just be my starter bike but after only 1200 miles it's grown on me and I'm thinking about keeping it.

The reason for my question was that I know that with cars (imports, at least) removing the airbox and tubing and putting a cone filter directly on the intake increases top end power and acceleration at the cost of power/torque on the low end of the tach.

Comment

I ordered some pod filters about 4 or 5 months ago. My bike pretty much had what I thought was the ideal set up for these filters, yet it ran horrible. One thing that I failed to realize is that it wasn't as simple as throwing them on and it running perfectly. More tuning is required after that to get everything to agree. Sent them back, and got the replacement K&N.
              '01 TL1000R

Comment

So what if you have an aftermarket exhaust, a stage 1 jet kit and the individual pod filters, and you get all that taken to the dealership and have it set up correctly. Then are the pods worth it?

Comment

Originally posted by AkBigN
                  So what if you have an aftermarket exhaust, a stage 1 jet kit and the individual pod filters, and you get all that taken to the dealership and have it set up correctly. Then are the pods worth it?
                  '97 Kat, pods, aftermarket exhaust (end-to-end) requires a stage 3 kit. Don't have an aftermarket exhaust header? Skip the pods.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                  X