X

appropriate sealers for valve cover and signal generator

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• appropriate sealers for valve cover and signal generator

I don't have my manual with me but I need to find out what the appropriate adhesives/sealers are for the valve cover gasket and the signal generator gasket on a 2003 Kat 600. Do I have to use the suzuki-specific product, or is a generic OK?

Also, the pink stuff on some of the frame bolts I took off... Is that just regular lock-tite?

Anyone have any input on this? I need to know by 4 pm PDT (2 hours)

Comment

Re: appropriate sealers for valve cover and signal generator

Originally posted by TemtnF8
      I don't have my manual with me but I need to find out what the appropriate adhesives/sealers are for the valve cover gasket and the signal generator gasket on a 2003 Kat 600. Do I have to use the suzuki-specific product, or is a generic OK?
      You can use any gasket sealant that will withstand 600 degrees or higher and which cures. Personally, I don't tend to use any on the valve covers -- the rubber cover works as it. Honestly, I don't use any for the signal generator cover either, but that paper gasket already has some on there and never seperated from the unit when I took off the cover.

Also, the pink stuff on some of the frame bolts I took off... Is that just regular lock-tite?
      Can't imagine why it was pink (unless they started with red threadlocker), but yes, you can use standard loctite for these bolts.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
        You can use any gasket sealant that will withstand 600 degrees or higher and which cures. Personally, I don't tend to use any on the valve covers -- the rubber cover works as it. Honestly, I don't use any for the signal generator cover either, but that paper gasket already has some on there and never seperated from the unit when I took off the cover.
        You don't use any even on the cam end caps as it is recommended in the manual?

The paper gasket on mine tore when I took the signal generator cover off this time so I have to replace it...

Comment

You don't use any even on the cam end caps as it is recommended in the manual?
          I haven't so far and there's no leaking...

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I really can't figure out why mine was leaking... All the gaskets were intact when I removed the cover and checked everything. I'm replacing the main valve cover gasket just to be certain. The only other thing I can come up with is maybe I OVER torqued the bolts or something...

Comment

I really can't figure out why mine was leaking... All the gaskets were intact when I removed the cover and checked everything. I'm replacing the main valve cover gasket just to be certain. The only other thing I can come up with is maybe I OVER torqued the bolts or something...
              Could be... or you may have put too much gasket sealer on there and built-up a high-spot, where the leak would end up being right next to it.

Remember: the valve covers are only supposed to hold in oil spray -- they don't need any more torque on them for mechanical reasons.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                Could be... or you may have put too much gasket sealer on there and built-up a high-spot, where the leak would end up being right next to it.

Remember: the valve covers are only supposed to hold in oil spray -- they don't need any more torque on them for mechanical reasons.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Didn't put any gasket sealer on it the first time. The gasket didn't even come off of the engine side. I just repositioned the gasket on the valve cover when I put it back on, and that could also be where I messed up...

I definately won't be exceeding the recommended 10lbs of torque on the 10 main bolts, or the 11.5 for the 4 in the middle. If I have to err one way or the other on the ones in the middle which way should I go, 11lbs or 12? My torque wrench doesn't do half pounds...

Comment

Go easy, err on the lighter side (11 or even just 10 ft-lbs).

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                  X