Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

94 Kat 600 stalling after throttle rev'd...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 Kat 600 stalling after throttle rev'd...

Good afternoon all, considering buying a 1994 Kat 600 with 12K on it. Everything appears to be in very good shape and cared for well. The current owner describes the only problem that he knows of as this...

"It only seems to stall after you rev it up fairly high and fast (when bike is in motion, sitting there it's fine..)and back of quickly. Doesn't do it all the time, but it does do it every now and then..."

Anyone have any suggestions? I think its probably just a carb cleaning problem as far as I can tell.

Bike has a Jardine full exhaust. Current owner isnt sure if its jetted but it prob is.

THanks in advance
    Josh

1993 Kat 600 - (Parts bike)
    1994 Kat 600 - Jardine full exhaust, Factory Pro Jet Kit, Pirelli Diablo Stradas, Fender CHOPPED, repainted plastics and tank

only thought that comes to mind might be either the idle is set a little on the low side, so when it comes off the high RPM it goes to bounce off the idle, but since its low, it stalls instead, could also check and see if the air box drain hose is connected and plugged off at the end.

What happened to the other 600? Ever get it going?
    Last edited by Newbie2it; 01-23-2008, 12:56 AM.
    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Hey long time no talk! The other 600 I kind of gave up on. The landlord here never cleaned out the garage so I really had no space to work on it over the winter. I suppose I could have lugged it inside but the girlfriend would have killed me. I figure its prob easier to just buy another!! LOL.....

Good suggestion about the idle. I think when it was sitting there it was chugging along at 1100 rpm. That did seem a little low. Also, I did see the drain hose dangling out from behind the plastics. I do not recall seeing any plug or stopper in the end...hmmm.

Don't think it could be anything major that would cause this do ya? I wonder if maybe the diaphram slides are sticking open after high throttle? That even possible?

Josh
      1994 Kat 600 - Jardine full exhaust, Factory Pro Jet Kit, Pirelli Diablo Stradas, Fender CHOPPED, repainted plastics and tank

Comment

1100 for a 600 IS low . I THINK it's supposed to be up about 1200-1400 .....
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Here is an update email i asked from the seller this AM....

It tends to just stall once you get off the gas and hard on the brakes. Again, it will run and stop fine when driven normally, but when you get on it hard and rev it up high and then get off the throttle quickly it tends to stall (sometimes..not all the time)

I think you guys are right that its the idle...ive had the same thing happen on a car when the revs bounce back to idle revs.

Sound right still?
          Josh

Comment

Sounds right, I would boot the idle up if you take it for a test run and then see how it reacts. I doubt the slides are an issue in this case. Glad to hear that you will finally be able to get out on the road. Just too bad the landlord didn't hold up his end. Looked like a fun project bike.

Hope to see you on the road sometime, Maybe we can ride if schedules allow.

Good luck with the new bike

Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Thanks for the assistance. Yea Ill let you know when I get on the road. Not sure if the schedules will jive though, you're a third shifter and I wake at 4am to swim at the YMCA so I'm usually in bed by 9PM, LOL.

I still think its odd that 1100 rpm would be too little to hold the engine running after hard throttle is released. Could partially clogged air filter cause this? Maybe during idle and throttle things are ok but on deceleration when the air is being called for as much it chokes a little?

Josh

Comment

Might be, but the uncapped airbox drain tube coupled with a relatively low idle would be enough for it to fall flatline. Just low Idle would be enough. Mine idles at 11, and thats a norm for the 750, if I dropped it to 900 rpm, it'd do the same thing. The 600 revs a little faster for proper idle since the cylinder air intake is a little smaller then the 750.

Come to think of it, about 900 mine will stall with just a blip to the throttle. Theres certian minimums for a reason

Comment

Gotcha, thanks... I sent the guy an email this AM with an offer and told him Ill come get it this Saturday morning. Im keeping my fingers crossed everything is cool and I can get it. As a side note, did you know UHall rents motorcycle trailers for $19.99?

J

Comment

Yep, the hardware store I worked for for 20 years was a U-Haul Dealer. I've seen people put just about anything into the wrong rentals tho. Had two idiots rent a 10' truck and put two HD's in it, 'cept theres no good place to anchor inside of the trucks, needless to say, they were pretty damaged cause one broke loose and went over into the other breaking that loose. They wanted the UHAUL renter insurance to cover, but it wouldnt, since they rented a moving truck, not a motorcycle trailer as they should have. Get the insurance, Its worth it if something happens when its on the right trailer.

Comment

Working...
                    X