X

Plugs...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plugs...

What would be the benifit of me going to a hotter plug? I have a K & N air filter and Cobra F1s slip on exhaust.
    Ride or go home!

a hole in the piston.

read about plugs here

tim

Comment

Plug tuning (going hotter/cooler) should be reserved to when you can no longer attain the correct setting by further adjustments of the carbs, or due to exceptional riding circumstances (i.e. - extremely short runs or extremely long ones, to help the plug stay in the right temp range to burn of contaminants).
      The link that Trinc posted has the fully skinny

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Sounds good. Thanks fellas.
        Ride or go home!

Comment

Awesome...thanks!!!!

8)
          My first aid kit comes with lights and siren

But sir, we are Navy SEALs, we are supposed to be surrounded...

Comment

A small hijack: I found out that the previous owner for some reason put hotter type plugs on mine (DR8ES-L in place of the stock DR8ES)... I'm thinking about switching back to stock to see whatever difference it may make (and maybe why he put them there) - could this hurt my engine in any way? I only risk to foul them by going colder, right?

I've got a K&N filter (small donut) and a full Yosh system, don't know if the carbs are jetted (going to find out soon)...
            - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow
              A small hijack: I found out that the previous owner for some reason put hotter type plugs on mine (DR8ES-L in place of the stock DR8ES)... I'm thinking about switching back to stock to see whatever difference it may make (and maybe why he put them there) - could this hurt my engine in any way? I only risk to foul them by going colder, right?

I've got a K&N filter (small donut) and a full Yosh system, don't know if the carbs are jetted (going to find out soon)...
              If I understand the NGK parts description properly, the "-L" is a half-heat range plug -- in other words, if the heat is normally an "8", the -L is effectively a "4". This is way out of temp spec for these plugs and normally would lead to excessive fouling unless you spend virtually all your time doing very long trips (where the heat will build-up over time to reach the burn-off temp of 500 - 850 degrees C). In theory, your plug is running about 280 - 400 degrees C cooler than the standard DR8ES, and the length itself may be problematic. I know the DR8ES-L is normally used on lawn equipment...

In the USA, you can call 1-877-473-6767 prompt #2 to get technical support on NGK spark plugs -- odds are they have something similar in their European division.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
              X