X

Slip-on vs. Full Exaust

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slip-on vs. Full Exaust

i'm looking at upgrading the exaust on my bike and like the look of some of the undertail mounted kits. one from bikebandit that i'm considering: http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandi...id~1183310.asp

so what is the difference between a slip-on system and full exaust system. i'm assuming the full system actually changes the air flow, while the slip on more or less changes the sound.

any suggestions on a good undertail system?
    You ever take that off any sweet jumps?

try this link, you may find what you need http://www.katriders.com/forums/search.php

Comment

Originally posted by duff daddy
      try this link, you may find what you need http://www.katriders.com/forums/search.php
      Duff you are such a prick
      PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
      The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

Well, first of all with a slip on, you will only be changing the tone and looks of the bike. With a full exhaust, you'll be getting a actual performance upgrade. With a full exhaust though, you will also have to get a jet-kit as you are increasing the exhaust gas flow.

Also, are you sure that Vance and Hines SS2-R is a undertail kit for the Kat? It was my understanding that there wasn't enough room for them, and that the SS2-R only came in a side mount for the Kat. I am not saying it is impossible, but it would take quite a bit of custom work to make room for it I would think. You may want to contact them and see. I have seen a kat with a Highmount exhaust, and that didn't look to bad.
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

the picture on the website you put up is not a picture of a katana. I don't think 98+ even have dual exhaust. If you get Vance and Hines it should be a single side pipe.

Comment

Yeah, the pic from the web site is of a Ducati 916/996/748, which had stock undertail exhausts. I've never seen an undertail exhaust for a Kat. Best you can do is a high mount (Leo Vince has a nice one). I've got the same bike as you do, and I'm really happy with my Yoshimura RS3 carbon slip-on. Very nice sound, looks great, and no need to rejet. Not a high mount, but sits higher and closer in than the stock can (had to flip the rear axle bolt to get better clearance).

Comment

I'm not saying a undertail can't be done, it would just take a lot of Modding, and possibly the ability to have a rear passanger.
              Kan-O-Gixxer!
              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
              -Ohlins Susupension
              -Various Other Mods

Comment

So with a slip-on, you just get different look and sound, but no need to re-jet?
                "The problem with most motorcycles is the nut that connects the seat to the handlebars."

Comment

Originally posted by Macka
                  So with a slip-on, you just get different look and sound, but no need to re-jet?
                  That is correct. The slip on is not changing the flow of your exhaust enough to require a jet kit. It is mainly there to look and sound better than stock.

The rejetting comes a nessicity when you free up exhaust flow at the header by either going aftermarket, or in some cases grinding down the wled seams in the stock header.
                  Kan-O-Gixxer!
                  -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                  -Ohlins Susupension
                  -Various Other Mods

Comment

Hmmmmm....I'm calling Bike Bandit to find out what this thing really looks like. I knew it wasn't a Kat in the pic...I'll have to let you guys know what they actually end up shipping me! I guess I can cancel the jet kit since the slip-ons don't modify the airflow.
                    You ever take that off any sweet jumps?

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                      Originally posted by Macka
                      That is correct. The slip on is not changing the flow of your exhaust enough to require a jet kit. It is mainly there to look and sound better than stock.

The rejetting comes a nessicity when you free up exhaust flow at the header by either going aftermarket, or in some cases grinding down the wled seams in the stock header.

thanks 8)
                      "The problem with most motorcycles is the nut that connects the seat to the handlebars."

Comment

if you guys are car savy, think about when you put a muffler on a car, it doesnt give you any power and doesnt create the need to change anything, but when you do headers,mid pipe, cats, and muffler then you start to gain power, that is when you get in to the parts of needing to jet on a bike

Comment

Working...
                        X