X

Stalling?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stalling?

I have this problem, when I get up around 8000 RPMs my engine starts to stall. It feels like its starving for gas, anybody ever had this problem? My bike has 5800 miles on it, never changed the fuel filter, anybody think that could be it? How easy is it to change?
    - Joe

I don't think that it. It could be but I doubt it. Have the carbs been cleaned and adjusted recently? If the bike has gone from one elevation to another and it is jetted, you may need to move the e-ring on the jet needle. Maybe it's time for a valve adjustment. Those are just a few thoughts.

Comment

Re: Stalling?

Originally posted by Jenkcoast
      I have this problem, when I get up around 8000 RPMs my engine starts to stall. It feels like its starving for gas, anybody ever had this problem? My bike has 5800 miles on it, never changed the fuel filter, anybody think that could be it? How easy is it to change?
      try riding it with gas cap open. could be a vent problem.
      also run it up to 8k or over and put it on prime.

if it idles fine & runs up to 8k fine then i doubt it's carb related as in dirty - may be a fuel level in the bowls - the tank can't supply enough gas.
      putting it on prime will bypass the petcock.

tim

Comment

might want to check the jets
        Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

Have you put on an aftermarket exhaust? or any other sort of "breathing" mods?

Comment

I moved from CT to SC, but it just started doing this like a week ago. No breathing mods have been done. I'm just gonna take it to a shop, it's bout time for a service call anyway and I don't have time to do it my self. Any other thoughts?
            - Joe

Comment

yeah, how are you liking SC?

Comment

Love it, great to be back. Plus year round riding. You still talk to Shaggy?
                - Joe

Comment

not very often. He disappears for months at a time, then comes back.

Glad you are happy in SC. Ive been thinking about moving somewhere in NC. I cant stand the weather or cost of living here in RI

Comment

Re: Stalling?

Q: Stock jetting or did you (or a previous owner) ever put in a jet kit?
                    Q: Stock exhaust & intakes, filters?
                    Q: Is the replacement fuel-filter the same as the OEM one, or an aftermarket? Is it downhill from the gas tank to the carbs (or does the filter sit flat)?

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Stock everything on engine execpt slip on D&D pipe, which has been on for 1 & 1/2 years. Bought the bike new straight out of the crate in 2003.
                      - Joe

Comment

Stock everything on engine execpt slip on D&D pipe, which has been on for 1 & 1/2 years. Bought the bike new straight out of the crate in 2003.
                        have you tried my suggestions ?

tim

Comment

Pay attention to Trinc's suggestions, plus clean the carbs, double-check the needle condition. The OEM needles are known to wear under certain circumstances, and a worn needle may cause this problem (as could a dirty air filter, fuel path that's not down-hill all the way, or clogged jet).

Good Luck!
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                          X