X

Chain Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain Question

I have a 93 Kat. How tight should the chain be? Seems like there might be too much play in it.
    1993 600
    No mods yet

1.2-1.5 inches of play with you on it should work just fine . Basically if you can make it touch the swingarm while you're on it , you should probably tighten it !
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
      1.2-1.5 inches of play with you on it should work just fine . Basically if you can make it touch the swingarm while you're on it , you should probably tighten it !
      Just slide the tire back a little?
      1993 600
      No mods yet

Comment

It's a very easy task, Just make sure you bring the wheel back on both sides of the switing arm the same length w/ the little tightening nuts so your rear sprocket lines up w/ the front sprocket and runs true.

Comment

Pretty much . You tighten the nuts on the adjuster deals at the end of the swingarm . Don't forget to loosen the axle nut first ! Turn each bolt about a half turn and remeasure (a half turn seems to go a long way !) . The tighten up the axle bolts , put in a cotter pin . You have some of those ? A handful at a hardware store'll run ya $5 ....
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
            Pretty much . You tighten the nuts on the adjuster deals at the end of the swingarm . Don't forget to loosen the axle nut first ! Turn each bolt about a half turn and remeasure (a half turn seems to go a long way !) . The tighten up the axle bolts , put in a cotter pin . You have some of those ? A handful at a hardware store'll run ya $5 ....
            I have some cotter pins. I see the threaded posts on the end of the swing arm. I also see that on the swing arm there is marks near the axle nut. So I loosen the axle nut, then tighten the nuts on the end of the swing arm 1/2 turn at a time till I get 1.2-1.5 inches of play on the chain?
            1993 600
            No mods yet

Comment

Yes
              Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by blkpitbull
                Yes
                Thanks alot.
                1993 600
                No mods yet

Comment

one more thing, take you measurement at the bottom of the chain (push from the bottom upwards toward the swingarm), midway between the two sprockets.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic13
                    one more thing, take you measurement at the bottom of the chain (push from the bottom upwards toward the swingarm), midway between the two sprockets.
                    What will this measurment tell me? Otherwords, what am I measuring?
                    1993 600
                    No mods yet

Comment

Originally posted by 1993GSX600
                      What will this measurment tell me? Otherwords, what am I measuring?
                      that's the slack
                      - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

put a ruler perpendicular to the swingarm, and when you push the chain up that will give you a measurement on how much slack you have.

Comment

put a ruler perpendicular to the swingarm, and when you push the chain up that will give you a measurement on how much slack you have.
                          Thanks.
                          1993 600
                          No mods yet

Comment

Working...
                          X