X

Fuel Smell???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Smell???

I had my bike out for a ride and noticed a strong fuel smell coming from the gas cap, I noticed it last year but thought it was normal. Any thoughts?
    Gripp & Regripp

Is the bike dark in color and there was bright sunshine out?

Try this: open the gas cap. Remove the gas cap. Smear a thin layer of vasoline on all the rubber gaskets. Reassemble. This may resolve the issue...

Good Luck!
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Or maybe don't put gas in there, but something that smells better, like those glade scented oils.

I'M KIDDING!!!!!!
      Kan-O-Gixxer!
      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
      -Ohlins Susupension
      -Various Other Mods

Comment

+1 on what Lou said

Comment

check your petcock. I was smelling gasoline last year on my kat and it turned out that I was leaking gas through the petcock. A rebuild kit is cheap and easy fix if thats the problem
          Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
            Or maybe don't put gas in there, but something that smells better, like those glade scented oils.

I'M KIDDING!!!!!!

Personally, I think those Glade things smell worse than gas!

Comment

That's why I have an air freshener hanging from my mirror ! Mmmm , coconut .....
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

since vaseline is a petroleum product wouldn't it actually degrade the seal rubber seal even further? Wouldn't a silicone grease be better?

Comment

rubber and petroleum get along just fine. You're thinking about latex...

been reading up on what lubes not to use with condoms much?

Comment

Originally posted by CorpZ
                    since vaseline is a petroleum product wouldn't it actually degrade the seal rubber seal even further? Wouldn't a silicone grease be better?
                    A silicone grease would work as well, but most people have some vasoline around the house... the idea is to help prevent further VOC's from evaporating out of the rubber and to add some degree of flex/seal to the seal. Replacing the seal would obviously be the best solution

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                    X