Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

hand numbness coming from engine vibrations...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hand numbness coming from engine vibrations...

Hi all.

I always end up having a very bad case of hand numbness, mostly in the right hand...

Of course, I tried putting as little weight as I can on my wrists, and for a while I thought I was holding on too tight, but no, I finally noticed that it doesnt happen at low speeds, only on 60+ mph.

It comes down to me actually feeling vibration when the engine is past 5k rpm. I feel it most in the right grip as it is a little more loose, but also feel some in the left grip.

Is this common for kats?

It's a 1995 750 by the way...

Thanks

Aramis

how long have you been riding? The reason I ask is a lot of riders get numb hands when the first start riding because they grip the bars to tight.
    Kyle

Comment

not very long, but like I said, I tried many things, among them was holding the throttle with very loose fingers, and it just delays the numbness from settling in... It's really from the engine vibration...

Aramis

Comment

Double check with the bike on a centerstand or race stand. My guess is that it is a combination of some or all of the following factors:

(A) one handle bar extension is bent slightly compared to the other. This will amplify the vibrations at the bar. Usually happens during a spill such as a parking lot spill. Putting the two bars atop each other (after unmounting them) will let you easily see if that's the case.
        (B) The stock bar end weights have either been removed or replaced with lighter replacements (heavier bar end weights damp the vibrations better)
        (C) The front wheel needs balancing
        (D) The front axle bearings are in poor condition or the brake caliper pistons aren't 100%
        (E) The engine is due for a valve adjustment.

If all of these things check out as not being a source of the issue, go visit http://www.olympiagloves.com/performance_gel_series.htm and get yourself a set of gel-palmed gloves.

Good Luck!
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks Cyber, I'll check it out...

Aramis

Comment

See how it is after you really get use to the bike. You can also fill the bar ends with something like bcuk shot to help with vibration.
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

Switch to the left hand.

Comment

You can try filling your bars with BB"s or eaven beter is to use lead bird shot.
                PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
                The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

Originally posted by UFO8MyCow
                  You can try filling your bars with BB"s or eaven beter is to use lead bird shot.
                  I already said that Dumbarse!!!!!!

Do you see why Corey drives me insane everyone?!?!?!
                  Kan-O-Gixxer!
                  -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                  -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                  -Ohlins Susupension
                  -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                    Do you see why Corey drives me insane everyone?!?!?!
                    I see why you're moving away from him... Just teasing...

Maybe both of you were posting at the same time, so he didn't see your post before he started replying?

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                      (A) one handle bar extension is bent slightly compared to the other. This will amplify the vibrations at the bar. Usually happens during a spill such as a parking lot spill. Putting the two bars atop each other (after unmounting them) will let you easily see if that's the case.
                      (B) The stock bar end weights have either been removed or replaced with lighter replacements (heavier bar end weights damp the vibrations better)
                      (C) The front wheel needs balancing
                      (D) The front axle bearings are in poor condition or the brake caliper pistons aren't 100%
                      (E) The engine is due for a valve adjustment.

If all of these things check out as not being a source of the issue, go visit http://www.olympiagloves.com/performance_gel_series.htm and get yourself a set of gel-palmed gloves.
                      Eveything CyberPoet suggested and you should also add to the list...

(F) Front tire may be severly cupped.
                      (G) Fork oil is old/weak or low
                      (H) Head bearing is shot
                      (F) forks may be out of allignment
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

If nothing turns out to be wrong with your bike, go down to an accessory shop (i.e. Cycle Gear) or go to various gear websites and find some gloves with gel in the palms. Since being new to riding, they have save my hands much grief and numbness. I picked up a pair for about $20 and they were well worth it.

www.cyclegear.com (if you don't have one locally)

Good luck, and happy riding.
                        Hate is a special kind of love I have for people that suck.

http://www.nmburn.com (#73-Defensive Tackle/Offensive Guard)

Hi. :bigfinger Cram it.

Comment

all of the above but know this: ALL inline 4's have a vibration zone. It's like the bikes resonant frequency & the kat's is around 5k-6k rpm's.

if you find yourself riding in this zone alot ( cruising on the highway etc. ) your best bet may be to adjust your final drive ratio so that your regular cruising speed is outside this 'zone' . ( changing the sprocket )

or try riding in a lower gear ( higher rpm )

tim

Comment

Working...
                          X