X

sprocket question??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sprocket question??

So i go down to my dealer today and ask for price on new sprockets. I did not get a price on the rear as they would have had to order it and would have taken 3+ weeks, BUT they can order me a -1 front sprocket for $18 and have it here by friday.

My question is which would be the biggest difference? Changing the front by -1 or the rear by +3
    " The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

Just by guessing the rear would have the larger, safer impact. No sense in squeezing only the front. Do the rea
    r first and the front later.
    If I were in your shoes thats how I would do it!

Comment

if you're never done the front before, it will be a huuuuuuuge PITA to do. if you need help knowing how to do it, PM me, and i'll give you a more in depth explanation as to why its difficult.
      if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

Why don't you check out some of the online stores. They may be able to get you the part faster...Speedwerks comes to mind....also there are other threads that could give you advice on other sites to check out....
        Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
        Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

You'll find my sprocket ratio charts for the Kat here:

CyberPoet's Katana Sprocket Ratios page.

14-47 gives you 7.14% change
          15-50 gives you 6.48% change
          The primary difference is in chain life -- a chain turning tighter to make that smaller front sprocket is more likely to wear, stretch and fail sooner than a longer chain going around a more gradual 50 tooth rear. On the other hand, with a 50 tooth rear, you'll need 120 link chain.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

cyber what do you mean
            is that meaning more torque ,accelaration, more top in speed or what im knew to this sproket stuff

Comment

It's a awsome change I went 14/49. goodbye to all top speed. It takes off faster though. It wont make you wheelie. Some one around here or on old KP said they were running 13/50. That there chain binded all the time.
              2003 gsx600f (the yellow one)
              vortex sprockets,D&D slip on,c/f led lights
              JIM's cowl, mesh, clearalt's ds signal, zero gravity ds screen

Comment

Originally posted by 93katana
                cyber what do you mean
                is that meaning more torque ,accelaration, more top in speed or what im knew to this sproket stuff
                Go read the webpage I pointed you at for the fully skinny...

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by steve
                  if you're never done the front before, it will be a huuuuuuuge PITA to do. if you need help knowing how to do it, PM me, and i'll give you a more in depth explanation as to why its difficult.
                  why was it a pita? because of removing the cover and all that crap? I am just curious cuz mine is quite easy to do.
                  I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

well when i did mine, i turned the crank case cover with the clutch cable in it, and it screwed up my clutch sooooo bad, that was the start of my probs so if i do it a gain, ill ha ve someone do it

Comment

ok..problem here. After waiting almost 4weeks since i order my parts. i finally get them today. I emailed the Ebay seller a couple times.Once was to halt my order until i was FOR CERTAIN on the size of sprockets i wanted. I then emailed them that i wanted 15-53 (stock front +6 rear). SO what did i get 14-53 . Now i looked it up and instead of a 12.77% increase in ratio this would be a 20.82% increase.

Big question is now should i try it out or is this away too much of a change? If i do decided to use how much of the top end will i lose , not that i care alot cause i never do more than 100mph? Also will this make my bike wheelie ? again not something that i want.
                      " The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

Comment

Originally posted by Badkitty
                        SO what did i get 14-53 . Now i looked it up and instead of a 12.77% increase in ratio this would be a 20.82% increase.
                        That is a massive increase in torque and a massive decrease in top-end speed (plus all the hassles with the speedo being that far off).

I'd suggest finding someone on here who would trade you a brand new 15-tooth for your 14-toother -- or just buy a 15 tooth and try both for testing purposes

Remember, no one has to wheelie -- it's all about judicious use of the throttle

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

oh i know i dont HAVE TO..i just like being able crank it wide open and not worry about front comping up. I think i'l go ahead and try it. LIke i said im not worried about top end at all. Its like not im going to race a gixxer on a kat

Comment

thats too big of a change imo. go buy a new 15 and sell the 14. the front sprocket is cheap. you may even find the 15-53 to big of a change.

tim

Comment

Ahem ...

We can work something out if you want ...
                              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                              X