Open hole in right side crank cover.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open hole in right side crank cover.

Hi Everybody

I crashed by bike last year, and after being pissed at myself, and saving the money i was finally able to start fixing it this year.

Now i have ran into a problem. On the right side of the bike, on the engine cover, i am missing something. I really dont know what used to go there and so this is problem.

The cover is the crank cover, and when i layed it over onto the right side it cracked and i am missing whatever came out of this machined hole. It looks similar to a bolt hole but i didnt feel any threads. I cant think of a good description really so i will try my best. The hole opens back towards the center of bike and i am pretty sure it was on the cover.

Does anyone know what i am talking about? Oil will drip out of it if the engine is started. I didnt know that something was missing i thought it was just oil dripping from the crack in the cover, so hopefully i havent screwed the bike over by running it for a minute without whatever the heck is supposed to be there.

Please help!
    Still putting everything back together.

well the crank case cover is on the left hand side and that is where you shift, if you have a pre 98 it will have lil holes in there, the clutch cable goes down in to it, so get on www.bikebandit.com and search for what you have that should tell you what you need and what you have

Comment

how big is the hole? On the right side I'd say it's the oil fill spy glass...

EDIT:

Part # 2 on this diagram?

Comment

Hes talkjing about the right sdie, the clutch cable is on the left side... Maybe its the oil window!!
        Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

"Similar to a bolt hole with no threads " sounds like a dowel is missing . It's a little tube that the bolt goes through kinda like a spacer that helps "locate" the cover .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

i know but the crank case cover is on the left side so he is tlaking bout something different

Comment

Yeah it is definately on the throttle side.

This is well forward of the oil level sight glass which survived intact.

Looking at the picture in the link i would say that it is part 11. I think what i was trying to describe is right where the 11 arrow is pointing at. What is normally supposed to be on other side of that bottom bolt hole? I really hope it is not some vital part of the crankcase i broke off.

Edit: The more i think about the more i am sure that bottom bolt hole is intact and it is the larger hole right below it is the one that is open and leaking oil. Once again on part 11 as posted in the link above.

Edit again: Thought about more and now i am sure of the problem.

Comment

I will post more and try to get some pictures of it up when i get home tonight.

By the way how fast does Ron Nayers normally get the parts out? 4-6weeks or they arrive a week after the order?

Comment

Throttle side cover.
                  See pic.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Chronos_Titan
                    By the way how fast does Ron Nayers normally get the parts out? 4-6weeks or they arrive a week after the order?
                    They usually ship in 4 to 5 days from the time you place the order and arrive about a week after that. You can up the shipping time by choosing faster delivery, but it doesn't change their 4 to 5 day lead (the time it takes them to get the part from the Suzuki warehouse -- about the same time as your local dealer takes) before they repackage it for shipment.

I ordered a replacement gauge surround 10 days ago from them via ground; it arrived today.

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I tried to post a pic, dont know what happened to it.

Comment

Ok now the pic came back so i give up.

Comment

That arrow looks to me like it's pointing to where that dowel I mentioned goes ... It's just a little metal post that kinda locates the cover so it's on exactly where it needs to be to prevent leaks . I'm almost POSITIVE that that's what you're missing .
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Whew is that a relief. That makes sense because i saw no sign that i had destroyed something that could have possibly gone in that hole, and like i said i didnt feel any threads.

So i guess the next question is if i order one from Ron Nayers will the cover have the new dowel already in it or do i need to make a trip to a hardware store when i get a new cover? Or maybe be forced to machine on of these myself?

Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

you need part #17 on the diagram in my previous post, then. Just order it when you order the new cover.

Comment

Working...
                              X