X

1997 600 - problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 600 - problems

Short version: 1997 Katana, ran fine until stalled, idled at 5500 rpm cycling up to 6000 every half-second or so, now it won't start. Fuel leak from directly beneath the battery compartment.

New poster here... I'm hoping to be a regular part of this forum, with your help...

So I bought a used (obviously) 1997 GSX600F. I rode it home, was pretty stoked (got it for $1400 - cracked right fairing, no big deal) - ran well. Still getting used to sport bike feel as I used to ride an 85 shadow for a long time. Anyway, I decided to take it out for a ride yesterday to get used to the handling of the thing, find the clutch 'sweet spot', etc. I rode it around for maybe 15-20 minutes in a lot and stalled it out. No big deal - I started it back up and all of a sudden it's idling at maybe 5500 RPM. Whoa! I thought maybe it just needed to work itself out so I hopped off and let it go for about 5 minutes - still idling at 5500 bouncing up to 6000 every few seconds (cyclicly). I didn't want to try and ride it home so I parked it and walked (was only 1/4 mile from my apartment). Took my truck over to pick it up and I tried starting it up - it would turn over but wouldn't catch, if I rolled the throttle back it would, however, and I would have to keep throttle on so it wouldn't die - and then it began idling at the crazy high RPM range. Shiat. I get it home and try to start it up and no dice - it just kind of hums when I press the starter. What the hell is going on? I also noticed it was dripping fuel from a line directly beneath the battery - didn't know if that was related or not.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading the Tolstoy; Merry Christmas!
    Attached Files

first of all, congrats on getting a kat, next get rid of that fuel leak, it could be catastophic....make sure your petcock is on ON and not on PRI or prime, cuz thats just going to let gas flow to your carbs until it drowns your bike. that could be why you're getting a gas leak by your battery. your airbox could have some gas and leaking. check and make sure you have that little hose thingy coming out from the bottom of your air box. i think 1400 bucks was to much for a used kat, depends on miles condition etc. check your throttle cable and make sure that it doesn't revvv to the moon when you turn the bike left/right. i know it happend to me when i was just parked choke off and was revving like a biaatch. check your idle too. guys anything else?
    Last edited by KenpachiZaraki; 12-24-2007, 09:50 PM.
    Captain of Squad 11

Comment

that covers everything, check that and post your finding, throttle cable would be a good start, vacuum leak is next, then it's time to delve into the carbs.

Comment

I promise I will post when I get it checked; with the holidays it might be after new years (taking a trip to Phoenix 29th thru 4th) - so it may not be until that following weekend.

Why would none of that manifest until just after I stalled it out? And any ideas why it's not starting after all of that?

Comment

well, engines do funny things sometimes, you can't pin everything on logic. Trust me if anybody believes in logic, it's me, but sometimes logic don't mean ****.

Comment

Originally posted by redshield3 View Post

Why would none of that manifest until just after I stalled it out? And any ideas why it's not starting after all of that?
            Yeah . With the "humming" you described , I'm thinking weak battery . Got a multimeter ? And I'd look for a manual . Sounds like you'll be needing it .
            You got you a "fixxer-upper" there . That's ok though , mine's STILL a fixxer-upper 5 years after I bought it .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by KenpachiZaraki View Post
              get rid of that fuel leak, it could be catastophic....make sure your petcock is on ON and not on PRI or prime, cuz thats just going to let gas flow to your carbs until it drowns your bike. that could be why you're getting a gas leak by your battery.

OK... I think that's what happened, because its not leaking anymore. Is that why it wouldn't start? Do i need to drain anything? Still won't start, isn't humming anymore, pushed the button, click and then everything died... (lights etc) I checked the battery with a multimeter, 12.19V as it should be. Could I just have massively flooded the engine?

- and another thing, why do I have to drop the fuel tank to check the spark plugs? grrrrr...

Comment

if you can figure out a way to take the plugs out without taking the tank off do it, good luck.

Comment

Well... it turned over and is running now... I drained the fuel tank and bounced up and down on the starter button and it turned over so i rode it around the block. When i first started it up it idled at 5500 (no choke on) so I tweaked the idle screw till it settled down as low as I could get it. It's still idling high (around 3000 now)

But what it's doing now is weird... starting it up on full choke it won't stay going - i have to bump the throttle to keep it from dying out. Finally after a while it will settle in on its 3000 rpm, but after 3 or 4 minutes it will lose power slowly and die no matter how much throttle i use. Are these symptoms consistent with an air leak?
                  Last edited by redshield3; 12-25-2007, 08:08 PM.

Comment

cool, at least to you got to ride it around a bit! as for having a high idle, i'd suggest you take your tank off check down inside where your carbs are and make sure your throttle cable has enough slack so that it wont rev so high when you start it. its like if you're already twisting the throttle even if you're not. either that or it could be your choke cable. but i'm betting on your throttle cable. yes i know taking the tank off and getting in there is not something you dont wanna do, but you're going to have to if you wanna ride a kat. and besides, once you get to know it, it just keeps getting easier. i'm kinda having the same problem, but its more like i run out of gas and it just dies, yes no matter how much throttle bittching and urging on i do. i'm ok when its just normal driving, but once i gun it, going about 80-90-170 mph(ok not 170 but its fun) for only a few seconds, i let off the throttle, and i pull in the clutch and i just dies, and it wont start until i pull over, put it on prime for a few seconds, pull the choke and voila, it starts. you might be running out of gas revving so high, that's why your bike dies and that equals no picking up chicks. check your petcock and make sure you're getting fuel flow, then check your fuel lines and then maybe you might just have to take your carbs off and clean them out. it might be electrical, but i'm saying its a fuel delivery problem
                    Captain of Squad 11

Comment

It sounds like the carbs are ready for some TLC.
                      -Steve

sigpic
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

That goes without saying , Steves
                        Battery sounds weak , carbs need love , check for air leaks , throttle cable stiction ...... Got a manual yet ?

Comment

enough slack so that it wont rev so high when you start it. its like if you're already twisting the throttle even if you're not. either that or it could be your choke cable. but i'm betting on your throttle cable.
                          It's not that it revs high when i start... To get it started, even on full choke, i have to roll the throttle or else it just cranks and cranks - and i have to maintain throttle on or else it dies quickly. After a couple seconds of my throttle on it does 'catch' and runs on its own around 3k.
                          i'm kinda having the same problem, but its more like i run out of gas and it just dies, yes no matter how much throttle bittching and urging on i do.
                          Exactly - thats exactly what mine's doing - when it starts dying I try to gas it but it just makes it die faster.
                          Originally posted by steves View Post
                          It sounds like the carbs are ready for some TLC.
                          I think you're probably right... no telling how long its been since they've been looked at. I'm not sure I can do this kind of thing myself... what does a place usually charge for cleaning + resynch? Also, I'm in Oklahoma City... if anyone can recommend a place there or in North Dallas, that would be appreciated.

Thanks for all the help guys... I think in the meantime i'm going to let it sit 'naked' and get a new right fairing and repaint the whole thing.

Comment

I'll clean and rebuild your carbs, $100 + parts, I can't re sync your carbs without your bike, so just a clean and rebuild.

Comment

From what you describe , it sure SOUNDS like a classic case of dirty pilot circuit . THe not wanting to start/run without throttle ? Yeah , that means you ain't getting gas at idle ..... And the idling high means sometimes is the same thing . I HAVE seen that first hand .

Comment

Working...
                              X