X

Throttle Stick

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle Stick

I just started noticing a throttle problem I hope someone could help me out with. When I turn the front wheel all the way to the right the bike reves to about four grand. I noticed that the throttle cable is pushing up against the right fork when this happens. I also noticied that the metal tube that comes of the the starter assembly,(black box nest to grips) ( in the shape of a j), is moving around. Obviously something is out of wack. Can anyone tell me this is? Thanks.

well I think you answered your own question on accident there. It sounds like your throttle cable is binding up. lube the cable, check for a kink around the fork area, and there is a metal bracket that holds the "j-shaped" thing in place. The bracket is held to the handle bar switch by one the the screws, tighten it. if that don't work, replace your throttle cable.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic13
      well I think you answered your own question on accident there. It sounds like your throttle cable is binding up. lube the cable, check for a kink around the fork area, and there is a metal bracket that holds the "j-shaped" thing in place. The bracket is held to the handle bar switch by one the the screws, tighten it. if that don't work, replace your throttle cable.
      Is the bracket part of the cable or a seprate piece? The bracket screw is tight but the j tube spins left and right. Are you sure it is the cable I need to repalce?

Comment

Re: Throttle Stick

Originally posted by blacksheep
        I just started noticing a throttle problem I hope someone could help me out with. When I turn the front wheel all the way to the right the bike reves to about four grand. I noticed that the throttle cable is pushing up against the right fork when this happens. I also noticied that the metal tube that comes of the the starter assembly,(black box nest to grips) ( in the shape of a j), is moving around. Obviously something is out of wack. Can anyone tell me this is? Thanks.
        Your throttle cable(s) are set too tightly. Loosen up the adjustors until turning the wheel all the way in either direction causes no change in the RPM level. The 98+ models have dual throttle cables (one for each direction of rotation); I believe the pre-98's have only a single cable (someone want to corroborate that?). Either way, what is happening is that there isn't enough slack in the cable, and turning the steering is straining it against the sheath.

Can't tell if you need to replace the cable until I see a picture of the issue; could be a bad screw receiver, too little slack, or the cable sheath itself may be damaged. Cables run about $20 - $25 each for the OEM ones.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I loosened the throttle cable and wala it works perfectly now. I don't know how it happened in the first place, the bolt was on there really tight so I doubt it just moved on its own, but your advice was spot on. Thanks cyberPoet

Comment

Working...
          X