X

520 conversion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 520 conversion

What are the benifits of doingn the conversion on a pre98 kat.

What does it change besides the chain.
    The Katana's Big Brother
    1999 1200s StreetFighter Bandit

ah im assuming that you change the sprocket size as well, thust means if you go bigger in the back, you get more torque down low and lower highend, so same with the front you drop a tooth in the front and you lose top end and do both like i did, -1+2 and she pulls hard picks up hard an have almost nothing bout 120-130 but i dont need that so i didnt care

Comment

The 520 is a competing standard for motorcycle chains which uses a narrower chain (the side-plates are closer to each other, the roller surface is narrower).
      The primary advantages are lighter weight and somewhat lower chain replacement costs.
      The primary disadvantages is that 520 chains do not have the same strength as 530 chains, thus are more prone to stretch/wear under the same duty load, AND that the conversion will force you to buy both sprockets and the replacement chain. Additionally, the conversion may result in chain alignment issues if the cushes for the sprockets don't let the replacements line up perfectly between the front and back 520 sprocket replacements.

KNOW THIS:
      Not all 530 chains are the same. Racing chains are lighter, but designed for much shorter duty-cycles before changing (a race or two). Chain manufacturers polled by Rider magazine all agree to spec the OEM spec for your chain (even if you change brands), so it's properly matched to your load/stress requirements.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I wouldn't reccomend it on a heavy bike like the Kat. The 530 is strong enough for a liter bike it is good for me. Weight is the only big thing but that is still less than 5 pounds difference.
        TDA Racing/Motorsports
        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
        Who knows what is next?
        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

The primary disadvantages is that 520 chains do not have the same strength as 530 chains, thus are more prone to stretch/wear under the same duty load, AND that the conversion will force you to buy both sprockets and the replacement chain. Additionally, the conversion may result in chain alignment issues if the cushes for the sprockets don't let the replacements line up perfectly between the front and back 520 sprocket replacements.
          exactly.... which may lead to this or worse...
          a

gather 'round, children

Comment

Okay, a 520 is *lighter*, but not LIGHTER. Minimal weight savings. You do need to buy sprockets meant for a 520 also.

Will you really notice a difference on a katana? No. Will the chain wear in a dramatically faster fashion? No. Is there a compelling reason to make a 520 conversion on one of these bikes? No.

There are a lot of guys on TLR planet who have a 520 on a TLR - which makes about a gazillion more ft/lbs of torque than a katana. The Tuono comes with a 525 stock.

If a liter sized twin can safely run a 520, I don't think a katana 600 is going to be a big issue.

Bottom line: if having a 520 setup will make you feel like your bike is tricked out, by all means go ahead. You may get a few thousand miles less out of the chain, but they aren't all that expensive anyway.
            I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

the only 520 conversion i found while looking was from Vortex & everyone i asked said they are POS. standard 7075 NON hardened aluminum sprocket. ( i think they look cool though )

give it a try and report back ( pictures of the rear teeth ) throughout the year would be cool.

tim

Comment

sorrybout if i misslead you, i was taking a guess b4

Comment

Thanks for everyones help i think ill pass on the conversion
                  The Katana's Big Brother
                  1999 1200s StreetFighter Bandit

Comment

Working...
                  X