Valves clearance

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valves clearance

Well, I failed.

I've got as far as partially removing the valves cover (top end) which is secured by 14 screws, 3 sets of 2,4, and 8 that goes like one to each long side then 4 next to each spark plug cover and then 8 matching screws on the top cover which 4 are stripped mainly on the right side, not the screws themselves but the threads in the case itself (stealership stripped them did a couple years ago) at least 2 I can simply remove by pulling straight out with my fingers.

My failure came when I couldn't displace the valves cover due to the throttle cable connector on the engine side, I considered removing the throttle cables but I was so over my head already my brain could not keep up with another screw/part being taken out but the real reason came realizing that with those stripped threads oil has been coming out in large amounts now will be even more since I took their snugness away.

I had to unscrew the oil cooler and horn, displaced the oil cooler so it rested on the front bender in order to get to some screws in the top end.

The top end was extremely dirty, a couple years of heavy oil leaking made fine pebbles and dirt accumulate like stucco on a house, my plan was to remove the top out of the bike and high pressure wash all that junk out but with the throttle cable on the way never got it out.

To my surprise the spark plugs looked pretty decent except #1 which was very blackened compared to the others.

With so many threads stripped I must get someone to rethread the top end, job that will end up being done at the stealership, I'll go to a different one now.

For now the plan is to take her to the stealership and get the valve clearance and carb synch after rethreading the top end.

I'm looking at lots of $$$ for this job and feel so stupid. I can see how and why many of you do your own servicing, if you are in the know that's the way to go, my previous stealership reported the stripped threads problem which of course claimed no responsability, I should have done something then but I'm gonna still write a letter to their customer service, I'll expect nothing from them, simply expressing my dissapointment on poorly done jobs (They ruined my California Emissions system too)

After I get this done I'll venture in there again and learn how to remove the throttle cables since now I feel much more confident.
    2000 Suzuki Katana 600 (Cryogenic suspension)
    2002 Kawasaki Vulcan (Gone)
    2006 Kawasaki ZX-14 (Gone)
    2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650.

remove the throttle cables from the handle bar end, getting them back were they need to go on the carbs will drive you nuts.
    Last edited by arsenic; 12-14-2007, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Can anyone in SoCal help this guy out possibly?

I can't even begin to imagine what the stealership will charge him....
      Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
      18v Rigid Drill
      Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
      New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

the dealership doesn't do that stuff, they send it to a machine shop.

Comment

And it's the cam caps that stripped , yeah . Those can be taken off and taken somewhere to be helicoiled .
          Instead of the high pressure hose , I'd just hose the engine down with some SImple Green , and hit it with the garden hose . Maybe get in there with an old toothbrush . Less chance of hitting something you don't wanna with high pressure .
          The one dark plug COULD be some cause for concern . When it's back together , remember to pull that plug and check it again later to see if it's black again . If so , time to do some tinkerin ....
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Well, I put her back together and rode her 15 miles to the stealership.

They're gonna evaluate the stripped threads issue on the valve cover first then take it from there.

If they can repair the valve cover then great, they'll do that plus a full service.

If they can't repair the valve cover I'm in a world of trouble, trouble $pelled like thi$ $$$.

I haven't heard from them yet, most likely they'll call early next week...

Forgot to mention.

I think that the fact that I put her back together and rode 15 miles to the stealership speaks volumes about these bikes, it was very hard to start but I started her on her own power, I left all the plastics home, she looked like some kind of cyborg naked bike thing except for placing the left side mirror for legal reasons.
            Last edited by 2000kat600; 12-15-2007, 07:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            2000 Suzuki Katana 600 (Cryogenic suspension)
            2002 Kawasaki Vulcan (Gone)
            2006 Kawasaki ZX-14 (Gone)
            2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650.

Comment

awesome dude... that says a lot about your tinkering capability too! You were over your head, but managed to pull your head out of water. Good for you! Now just make sure you use a lot of KY or Vasoline, this is gonna hurt!
              1993 Suzuki Katana 750 (GSX750F)
              1993 BMW 325i

Comment

Like md said, those can be helicoiled. If they try to charge you for a whole head, I'd go balistic. Those caps are matched to your head, and aren't replaceable, technically. Helicoil kit is about 45 bones, and prolly another 50 for labor. Hopefully they don't rail you too much. Good Luck!!

err, let me add to that, 50 bones for labor on helicoiling, not the whole thing.
                Last edited by GytRDunKat; 12-15-2007, 09:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

I know those are machined to go with the head, but I have a ton of cam caps, I sold two of them to Darin, but then he found out he could just helicoil his originals

Comment

Working...
                  X