X

Second Gear Problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Gear Problem

I'm new to the forum, and this may be discussed somewhere else, sorry if it is. I bought my 94 kat 600 last year. It has a strange problem with second. It holds fine when downshifting, but as soon as I touch the throttle it falls into neutral. Has anyone had a similar problem? I was wondering if it is the gear or a bent fork or what?

Thanks,
    TjToo

Very common on the Pre-98 Kats (I don't know why). You could do a search for Second Gear and find some info on it. I'm sure someone with first hand knowledge will chime in.

Comment

Falling out of 2nd on loss of positive thrust usually is the result of a bent shift fork or bad rotator mechanism. The good news is that the parts are cheap (relatively - $200 - $250 for everything you'll need). The bad news is that getting at the shift fork & gears is a massive headache that involves dropping the engine, splitting the cases, etc. (about 12 to 20 hours of labor for a skilled mechanic to get it disassembled and reassembled -- if nothing goes wrong along the way). Most people opt to simply swap for a different (used) motor+tranny assembly from a wreck or ebay and bolt that in.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks for the info. I do want to swap in a gsxr 750 motor and trans, but I'll have to wait for the funds. I still want to fix the 600, I figure it'll make a great go-kart/mini dune buggy.

Thanks,
        TjToo

Comment

wow, this is like deja vu lol

"If you ain't first, you're last..." - Ricky Bobby
          "Your stuck on an anger bridge man, you gotta cross the anger bridge and come back to the friendship shore..." - Magic Man

Comment

Working...
          X