Throttle roll kills bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle roll kills bike

Hello all,

I just replaced the petcock on a 99 katana. When put the gas hose back on and the vacum hose, but now I can get the bike to run properly. What happens is that when I start it, it idles very low, but when I add the choke, it spikes up to 3-4K and then goes back down to 2K. When I roll the throttle on in nuetral, the engine revvs a little and then dies.

Here are some things I noticed:
    There is an electronic connector coming out of the upper right fairing. I cannot find a place for it to connect to. Does anyone know where it is supposed to go?

I had the bike on Prime and rode it for a while before this problem exhibited itself. Can this cause damage? Can it cause damage that would lead to the problem above?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Sounds like the carbs are dirty or out of synch.

Idle could be set wrong too.

What year?
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

that electrical connector is a cali emissions thing, it connects to nothing, unless of course you have a cali model

Comment

it is a 99 600 --

Comment

well i have rode on prime b4 and just noticed i was using too much gas, dont think it cuases damage though.
          i get lucky enough for poeple to mess with my prim / resv knob sometimes and think its a joke .

did you mabey put the petcock on upsidedown?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Malloc View Post

did you mabey put the petcock on upsidedown?
            Hmm, upside down? Would be a biatch to get that thing up into the tank and bolt from the inside.. no? LOL
            If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
            Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

If it's running on prime , this is a GOOD thing . It actually tells us it's a fuel problem . And since you tinkered with the petcock (heh heh , you said "cock" ) ..... where'd you get the "new" one ? Was it rebuilt ? If so , it's possible the plastic dealy inside was put in backwards . I did that myself . IN the meantime , run it on prime . If the carbs are in good shape , you'll harm nothing . But just to be safe , switch it back to "on" when you shut down .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
              X