X

Need Some Breathing Help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Some Breathing Help

I need some help, does anyone know if a KAT 600 needs exhaust backpressure, if yes, any specs. I have thrown this out before but never got an exact number. I am thankfull for any help. I want to try to run a dual exhaust set-up without mufflers, but don't want to go thru the effort of fab'n the exhaust and loosing HP and performance. I have never seen this done, but I don't know if it because of the noise or the need for backpressure.

Thanks

Well, yes your bike needs back pressure, but if you are going to run a bike weather it be single or dual exhaust, your are gona F-Up your engine big time. Burn up your valves and what not.

If you want something that is free flowing and loud exhaust wise, get a D&D.

Just doesn't sound like a wise desicion to me.
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

i agree with lou. my buddy ran his kat around the neighborhood without a pipe on it, and it lost HP and torque. and it was extremely loud as well.. if you want loud freeflowing, get d&d. its def. both of them.
      if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

I know when you have free flowing exhaust meaning no back pressuer on a truck you loose alot of lowend torque. so probley goes the same for bikes

Comment

there has to be a equality of fuel and air, no matter what. If you are pushing more air you need to equal that with more fuel. Thus the measurement, there is no number, it depends on what air/fuel you push through the carbs into the cylinder out the pipes.
          TDA Racing/Motorsports
          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
          Who knows what is next?
          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

I agree w/ Lou also...and just on a side note.. if you think a d&d is loud... ohman, running the setup your talking would shake the earth

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed750
              I agree w/ Lou also...and just on a side note.. if you think a d&d is loud... ohman, running the setup your talking would shake the earth
              And mess up the bike.
              Kan-O-Gixxer!
              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
              -Ohlins Susupension
              -Various Other Mods

Comment

neither of which is a good idea.

Comment

Re: Need Some Breathing Help

Originally posted by saygra
                  I need some help, does anyone know if a KAT 600 needs exhaust backpressure, if yes, any specs. I have thrown this out before but never got an exact number. I am thankfull for any help. I want to try to run a dual exhaust set-up without mufflers, but don't want to go thru the effort of fab'n the exhaust and loosing HP and performance. I have never seen this done, but I don't know if it because of the noise or the need for backpressure.

Thanks
                  No one except the factory can accurately quote you info on how much back pressure is desirable (unless they deconstructed the exhaust headers in some theoretical sense and measured)... The loss of back-pressure will result in the loss of low-end torque, but as long as it's matched to the appropriate fueling, will net you a positive HP gain at the upper end of the RPM range. Build a test platform for your exhaust, then hook up an exhaust analyzer and start tweaking the carbs heavily to get the fueling right. As Lou pointed out, this can lead to burnt valves -- especially if you're leaving the mix alone, as you need a proper mix to keep the leanness from inducing after-fires and burning the valves as the compounds exit the cylinder. You may also find that you need to use marginally stronger valve springs on the exhaust to compensate for the loss of back-pressure, as well as reduced lift-duration cam and keep us posted!

Good Luck!
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                  X