X

Front Sproket Nut Size

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Sproket Nut Size

Whats the size of the nut that holds on the front sproket of an 04 kat 600? It looks BIG and I'd hate to run over to the store and get the wrong one.

It seems that everytime I do something new on my bike I end up buying more tools

The pre98's are 32 mm, and I think I've heard somebody saying it's the same for the 98+ (measure it with a ruler, maybe? - 32 mm is about 1.26 inches)...

Tip: if the sprocket is factory mounted, expect it to be stuffed full with loctite. Get an impact wrench, or even better an air impact wrench if you already haven't got one, while you're off shopping for tools.

That's part of the charm - it gives satisfaction to know you've got all the right tools for the job...
    - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

32mm.

Easiest way to get it off and back on:

32mm H. D. socket with a breaker bar, have a freind push down hard on the rear brake, and get 'er done! When going back on, use Loctite!
      I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
      Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
      Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

OH MY GOD I JUST DID THIS PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU TORQUE DOWN YOUR NUT TO CORRECT SPECS if not you will have what happend to me and ruin that front shaft and have to spend lots of money. so please take the time and make sure after you get it on, its torqued down, i used an impact wrench and it still didnt hold

Comment

Originally posted by duff daddy
          OH MY GOD I JUST DID THIS PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU TORQUE DOWN YOUR NUT TO CORRECT SPECS if not you will have what happend to me and ruin that front shaft and have to spend lots of money. so please take the time and make sure after you get it on, its torqued down, i used an impact wrench and it still didnt hold
          Ouch, sorry to hear that. I'll be double carefull putting it back together this morning. Stragnly enough it seemed the bolt holding on the speed sensor thing was way over tourques (spec is rather low) while the big nut came off with no problem (of course I was using a breaker bar)

Comment

Thanks for you help guys, got everything back together, going out for a 2-up rip for some lunch to test out that -1 in the front.

Comment

sorry i didn't see this earlier. but you could have looked at my how-to page posted here in the mechanics 101 forum.

it's all there - tools required & torque specs.
              htttp://www.pacifier.com/~trinc/katana

tim

Comment

Thanks for the page.

That -1 in the front has made a good differance. Nothing so major, but just enough that you notice around town without losing much out on the highway.

Comment

Working...
                X