Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Drain Hose Fell off!! Ahhh where's it go? What's it for?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain Hose Fell off!! Ahhh where's it go? What's it for?

Ok Cyberpoet!! Where you at buddy??? I haven't bothered you in a long time, so it's time. In case you don't remember, I have a 1999 Kat 600. Okay, I took my bike to the car wash and washed it up the other day. The next afternoon, I pulled the bike out and got ready to ride it, when I noticed dripping from one of the hoses that are down below the right heel guard, held in place with that little clip thingy (I lack technical wording, if you haven't noticed yet. So anyways, I put the kickstand down, got off the bike and looked at the hose, and just pulled it a little, and realized it was not connected to anything, I just pulled it and it came the whole way off. I would say its probably 14-18" long and has a little cap on the end that is down towards the bottom. So I just pulled it out and set it over by the bike cover and drove away. I am not sure exactly what it hooks up to, or what it's for, but didn't imagine it was detrimental to have on there for a ride. So...my first question is, what is it? 2nd, How do I put it back on!!?!?!?

Thanks guys,
    John
    I'm starting to wonder if you all need a beatdown.

I'm not CP but that's the drain hose for your airbox. It should connect to the bottom right rear of the airbox.
    sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
    MSF Rider Coach 27028
    MoPowerSports.com
    Torco
    SoCalTrackDays

Comment

whats it for? whats it do?

Comment

allows moisture and water to drain out of the box...
        Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

but couldnt it just drainout of the box without the hose attached?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnbliYayzzy
            but couldnt it just drainout of the box without the hose attached?
            sure. right on top of the starter.

tim

Comment

so whats the problem with that?

Comment

One, it's full of unburnt gas, water and oil from the evapporative emission vent!!!! Can't be good for the finish on any parts it hits and two, those items don't mix well with a starter
                sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
                MSF Rider Coach 27028
                MoPowerSports.com
                Torco
                SoCalTrackDays

Comment

GixerKat got it -- it's the airbox drain hose. Connects to the underside of the airbox on the left side of it (there's a nipple for it to connect to). The big deal is that the hose is there and plugged, because without it, unfiltered air is being pulled through the nipple straight into the airbox past the filter -- sand, road crap, etc. The hose/nipple's purpose is to permit condensation, oil, water, etc., to be drain into the hose until you get around to uncapping it (uncap & drain whenever you clean your chain, then recap).

Unfortunately, it's a bit complicated to reinstall....
                  To reinstall, remove the seat, undo & remove the lower fairing, unbolt the rear most bolt on each side of the upper fairing and pull the upper fairing out of it's catch on each side. Remove the two tank bolts, disconnect the fuel line at the petcock, locate the black vacuum hose to the right most carb (just forward of the throttle position sensor) & pull it off. Disconnect the fuel tank sender wire (connects at the right side of the bracket directly behind the airbox), then lift the tank away (the tank drain hose will be under the tank and will have to be pulled off once you start to lift the tank).
                  Locate the 3-sided metal bracket in front of the relays and directly against the airbox (the one the bolts for the gas-tank screwed into). Unbolt the two bolts on each side of this bracket (each side: one to the frame, one to the airbox). Then loosen the airbox connections to the carbs (4 large hose clamps, 1 per carb; loosen them up but don't unscrew the bolts all the way out). Lift the two hoses routed across the top of the airbox (run into holders at the rear of the airbox) away from it and flip them forward over the carbs. Pull the airbox up and back (towards where the seat would be) to lift it out. Find the airbox drain hose, route it across from the other side under the rear shock/spring assembly, and connect it to the airbox nipple (those hose should have a spring-clamp, but you can use a hose clamp if required). If you want bling-bling, this is the time to replace the drain hose with a colored version instead (make sure it's the right size and can take the end-cap).
                  Then reinstall everything, going backwards step-by-step.

If you know what you're doing, this takes under 15 minutes. The first time out, give yourself an hour and make sure you have decent lighting where you're working.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

There should be two hoses. One to drain the overflow of the gas tank and one for the carb box. The one for the carb box should have a plug on it to keep any oil that maybe mixed in it to stay off the rear tire.
                    Bike is sold

Comment

Yep....carb/air box drain hose. About 1/2" dia with plug in end.

EASIEST way to RE-INSTALL: Remove LEFT heal guard, stick hand in there, pass up hose from bottom thru that bent clip to be able to install on bottom of box. Reinstall heal guard.

Takes less than 4 mintues, most of that R&R with Heal guard!
                      I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                      Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                      Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by Special K
                        Yep....carb/air box drain hose. About 1/2" dia with plug in end.

EASIEST way to RE-INSTALL: Remove LEFT heal guard, stick hand in there, pass up hose from bottom thru that bent clip to be able to install on bottom of box. Reinstall heal guard.

Takes less than 4 mintues, most of that R&R with Heal guard!
                        You are the man of the hour!

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks! You guys kick ass!

Comment

Humm so you are supposed to have TWO drain hoses? I never had two hoses (one for the gas tank over flow and one for the box drain hose) There was only ONE drain hose and 3 hoses for the petcock. I guess I should prioritize the carb/air box over the gas over flow?

Comment

Originally posted by daithi
                              Humm so you are supposed to have TWO drain hoses? I never had two hoses (one for the gas tank over flow and one for the box drain hose) There was only ONE drain hose and 3 hoses for the petcock. I guess I should prioritize the carb/air box over the gas over flow?
                              We're talking about late model kats here (98+). At your right foot should be two drain hoses, one of which connects to the underside of the tank (the tank drain), and one which connects to the underside of the airbox (airbox drain). Some automatic oilers splice the airbox drain for a vacuum source, and a short-sighted person might run it directly.

I'd check to see which hose you're missing (it might merely be misplaced, so that its not routed all the way to the hose retainer bracket at the bottom).

Cheers
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X