Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

New chain and rivet master link????????????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New chain and rivet master link????????????

I have new sprockets and chain on their way. My question is, Is their another way to put the rivet master link on without that tool. I was going to get the tool but needed clutch discs more, and dont have the money for the tool. Any suggestions.....I dont wanna tear up a brand new chain, or master link!!!! But I need to know how to get them together safely!!!!

Thanks
    Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a punch and hammer!
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

I was thinking that, but I didnt know if it was to hhmmmmmmmmm primitive!!!!!! lol.....Thanks man!!
      Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

C-Clamp works too in a pinch. So will the $2.75 version of the tool used for bicycle chains.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I tried the to use the C Clamp but I couldn't put enough preassure to get the master rivet link in all the way.

Right now I am thinking I am going to need a tool. However
          unless you have some tools or know some tricks , you'll need someone to put it on for you .

- md86 -
          thread - Chain Question

what is the rivet tool's function?

I definately don't want someone to put it on for me because I want to learn and save a buck, so, what kind of tricks?
          1989 Suzuki Katana 750

Comment

Originally posted by 89katana750
            what is the rivet tool's function?

I definately don't want someone to put it on for me because I want to learn and save a buck, so, what kind of tricks?
            The tool's function is to mushroom out the head of the link after it passes through the chain roller and sideplates to keep it from being able to back-out. It needs to do it without pushing the end of the link against the sideplate tight enough to bind the side-plate -- although that's usually the users' doing.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Know anyone who you could borrow a tool from? Or, ride your bike to the dealer and change your chain in their parking lot. When its time to rivet the chain, go WHOOPS. Ask to borrow theirs for 10 minutes.
              -Steve

Comment

I brought my bike to a dealer in the back of a friend's truck and the tech riveted mine in the lot . Didn't charge anything either (hey , it was less than 5 min. work) . Nice guys will tip , though ...
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                  C-Clamp works too in a pinch. So will the $2.75 version of the tool used for bicycle chains.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  I've actually snapped a c-clamp trying to get a master link on.

Comment

if you don't have the tool or can't borrow one - get a clip type link. just make sure you put the clip on in the right direction & put a dab of silicone on the clip. ( which is approved for racing )

trying to get a c-clamp or other devise to mushroom the rivot well enough is something i wouldn't want to be thinking about as your doing the speed limit down that counrty road

tim

Comment

I actually have the clip link type as well. But it came from a different chain. The chain I got is "X" ring and for some reason it states on the box that it cannot use clip master links.

by the way,

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I will try one by one until I get it on properly.
                      1989 Suzuki Katana 750

Comment

Working...
                      X