X

Self-Made FS bracket -- location?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self-Made FS bracket -- location?

I was thinking about building a bracket for some purchased frame sliders, on the part of the frame which can be seen through the front cowling (see photo).

Anyone have any reasons why this location would NOT be suitable for welding a bracket onto?

I won't be drilling.
    Attached Files

That is a typical place to put a frame slider, The only reason that I know of that the position would be a bad one is the weakness of that section of frame. A brace would be great to strengthen that point.
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

you should really get rid of the shovel on the back before worrying about frame sliders through
      -jason

Welcome to Katriders! Click Here to Register

RIP ROB (AKA BREEZE)

Comment

tail is already gone (old pic)

Comment

Does anyone know for a fact what is the frame material? If it is an alloy you need to make sure that you follow the proper welding procedure otherwise you will weaken the structure.

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
            Does anyone know for a fact what is the frame material? If it is an alloy you need to make sure that you follow the proper welding procedure otherwise you will weaken the structure.
            steel!
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

You wouldn't normally weld a frame slider mount onto it for the same reasons you wouldn't drill & mount:
              While at low speeds, the frame sliders will protect the body, at higher speeds (say 22 - 25mph +), an impact to the frame slider would be transmitted to the frame, rendering it ruined (twisting it and ruining the structural integrity). If in doubt, ask SpecialK, as he gets ones ruined that way into his shop all the time -- as total write-offs.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

"twisting it and ruining the structural integrity" was my main concern.....

The proposed location is pretty much right in the center of where the two ends of the steel frame are welded on/bolted to the rest of the frame.

I was trying to stay away from cutting the plastic...but it seems to me that there would be severl MUCH more ideal locations, when twisting the frame is a consideration.

I was only thinking first of simple tipovers in a parklot....or any more drunkards, whom I might one day encounter....

I guess I'll consider cutting some holes in the plastics.

Comment

Someone in Europe (and possibly now in the USA) was selling frame gaurds, which are basically metal frame members that go over the outside of the fairing to protect the bike in spills (designed for stunters). If you want serious protection, you might want to search for those instead.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Nah, thats too "bolt on" (when I say too bolt-on I mean too costly) I'm a poor student, so I'm DIY or don't do it at all.

But even if I weren't poor, I'd still do it myself.

Thanks again for all the super help!

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
                      Originally posted by tzortn
                      steel!
                      Another comedian.

Check out http://www.matweb.com/ do a search for steel and let me know you find for properties. It is a good site if you are looking for material properties.

Comment

Originally posted by benchfalco
                        Nah, thats too "bolt on" (when I say too bolt-on I mean too costly) I'm a poor student, so I'm DIY or don't do it at all.

But even if I weren't poor, I'd still do it myself.

Thanks again for all the super help!
                        If you weld & bend your own, you should be able to take a piece of 3/8 x 2 tube and create the same concept
                        Or send a PM to malloc -- he knows some outfit in PA that is looking for donor bikes to build them onto -- first one there with a specific model gets the kit & install free.

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

...a nice (toooooo) LONG ride from NS to get those guards mounted...

Now the questions is: "what's the easier project, cutting the plastics and mounting sliders...or bending pipe to build massive guards?"

I think I'll go with sliders cause it's a little cleaner look, and a little less weight addition. A seemingly simpler task too, methinks.

but, It's always good to keep thinking creatively!

Comment

I wouldn't recommend that location. The frame is steel tube and the section your suggesting is quite thin (easily less than .065 wall tubing). Any kind of imact to a slider that was welded directly onto that location would definite cause frame damage which would defeat part of the purpose of the fairings (to prevent costly frame damage in the event of an accident). It might work better if you boxed the section with more substantial material but then you'd be adding more weight.

Here's a question...would sliders even be effective on a kat at that height? As far as I know, the only thing to usually great trashed on pre98s in a lowside is the bulbous parts of the lower fairings that cover both engine covers...I doubt something that high would save them.

Comment

When i went down last summer it rashed the whol right side all theh way up to the bottom of the tank
                              The Katana's Big Brother
                              1999 1200s StreetFighter Bandit

Comment

Working...
                              X