Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Recommend a high quality HIGH-heat header paint?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend a high quality HIGH-heat header paint?

Can anyone recommend a high quality header paint?

I put some "high-heat" paint on my headers last season, but after a short while the paint burned and flaked off. Obviously the 'high-heat' wasn't high as was necessary to withstand the heat in my pipes.

I am looking for some HIGH heat header paint; and something that will minimize corrosion.

Thank all!

well... the old-school option is to use 1500 degree bbq paint... the supertrapp on my cb750 is wearing that... it doesnt last forever, and needs a recoat every year or so---it does look pretty sharp though, and fades rather than flake off... i do not think that a long lasting "paint" is possible... if you need it to last, you would be better off sending them to be ceramic coated... obviously this is more expensive than a few rattle cans...
    so yeah--- i recommend the bbq paint...

a

gather 'round, children

Comment

Originally posted by toobalicious
      if you need it to last, you would be better off sending them to be ceramic coated...
      +1

From a different thread:
      Originally posted by The CyberPoet
      As for the headers, seriously consider getting them powdercoated with jetcoat or equivilent (ceramic-aluminum mix). If they are rusted up, it will save you a lot of aggrevation (since sand-blasting is part of the process), and if you price-shop, you should be able to find a powdercoater to do it for $130 - $180 or cheaper in your own area. If you don't got that route, find some rust converter before attempting to paint them -- there are products that will convert the rust to magnetite, a metal that won't rust further and is perfectly paintable.
      Basically you need better surface prep -- the rust must be addressed completely first, and all the oils must be removed before painting.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I will be doing the sandblasting myself, to prep the pipes.

Will looking into powder coating...

thanks CP

The condition of the pipes might be so rusty that there's nothing left so blast but rust though...I may have to buy new, then coat. ...blah

Comment

Originally posted by benchfalco
          I will be doing the sandblasting myself, to prep the pipes.... Will looking into powder coating...

The condition of the pipes might be so rusty that there's nothing left so blast but rust though...I may have to buy new, then coat. ...blah
          The powdercoater will probably charge you the same if you blast or he blasts (because he needs to blast anyway to be sure that it's ready). If you really think that you might get through-holes from sand blasting, it's time to replace that puppy anyway; there won't be enough metal left even for a decent rust-to-magnetite conversion.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by benchfalco
            I will be doing the sandblasting myself, to prep the pipes.

Will looking into powder coating...

thanks CP

powder coat will not work ! it's ceramic coating that you want.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by trinc
              powder coat will not work ! it's ceramic coating that you want.
              Note that the ceramic coating (aluminum oxide + ceramic) is still a powdercoat process, and the only question is whether the powdercoating firm can do it (based on whether their ovens go hot enough to bake on that kind of coat). But Trinc (Tim) is right -- standard powdercoating (a plastic) will not work because it'll melt again when the pipes get hot.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Por 15 also sells a high heat paint for headers.

They have a restore kit for $38 bucks.

Or you can buy just the paint.
                Kan-O-Gixxer!
                -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                -Ohlins Susupension
                -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
                X