X

This is probably the worst first post ever

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is probably the worst first post ever

I just bought an 04 750 with a D&D exhaust and I know nothing else about it but that. (Used to be a Harley guy) How do I know if the previous owner installed a jet kit? (Bought from a dealer so I don't know who owned it before me) Do I need one if he/she didn't install one? Bike seems to run fine...ie no stalling, sputtering, backfiring. Like I said, I made the switch from Harleys to a Katana and I'm a little confused. By trade I'm a jet mechanic, and I like to work on cars and trucks on the weekends, but I can't work on this bike to save my life. (Not because I don't know how. Because the whole damn thing is covered in plastic) How do I take my fairings off to work on the bike? I tried once, but I'd get 5 fasteners out only to discover 5 more. Then when I thought I was done I put down my allen wrench and started gently pulling (don't want to break it) and discovered even more fasteners (mostly screws). I want to change my oil but I can't get to the engine. So I guess my questions are
    1-How do I take off the fairings? Do they all come off at once or is it possible to take take off only one?
    2-Is there a way to tell just by looking at the carbs (4 of them!!My truck has 1!!) if a jet kit has been installed? (For example, I installed a jet kit in my Sportster and part of that involved removing a screw that was hidden behind a welch plug. Had to remove the plug to get to the screw and anyone who looked where the plug was could tell the kit had been installed)
    3-For any former Harley owners, how long does it take to get used to 12,000 RPM? Anything above 5,500 and I think it's gonna fly apart.

2) To tell if a jet kit has been installed pull one of the carb top "caps" off and remove the needle from the slide. If it's adjustable then it has a kit installed.
    1) the fairings are multi piece

Oh and I've never owned a Harley, I prefer to ride and not just look at my bike (flame on all you Harley lovers but the worst rides I've ever been on have been with Harley guys).
    And in answer to your question, there is nothing like the sound of an engine at high rpm's so it took me no time at all to appreciate it.
    Last edited by GregS; 11-20-2007, 08:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I made the switch from Harley for 2 reasons. 1-The cost. Got my Kat for 1/3 the price of my V-Rod. 2-The cost. Suzuki parts seem to be cheaper than Harley parts. (By cheaper I mean less expensive) And the Kat was priced right so I jumped at it.

Comment

each fairing has about 5 or so bolts holding it on , you must take off the bolts under the rer view mirors , the front piece that says suzuki on it, the underheadlight piece that had thumb push plastic fastners in the back side and the normal bolts u see in front, take off the lower fairing to sevice the oil drain , all the top bolts across on both sides nd a bolt around the centerstand area on both sides , slide it out form one side of the bike tword the front tire.
        each fairing is seperate , left right , lower fairing can stay as one piece , then the 2 front pieces above below headlight, you must take the seat off and undo a bolt on each side for the left right fairing also .
        the needles on the stock kat are pretty thick 5mm mabey?)and sorta like a cone , the jet kits seem to be thiner and seem to be more like a needle . sorry i dont have picture to show you the stock ones.
        sigpic

Comment

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
          mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

usmc you dont want to be saying your a harley guy around these parts

oh and you should keep your cruising rpm around 5,000 ish, 10,000 if your trying to go fast..... now i know fast is something new to you but thats when you twist your wrist and start moving at a high rate of speed, generally in MPH
            Last edited by IndyGunner; 11-20-2007, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Take a ride up to Midas in greenville one saturday afternoon, and I can show you what you need to do to change the oil, and remove the fairings. You can do the oil without removing them though. I work till 3, but can stay after that to help.

Comment

definatly look at this link steves posted for you
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Malloc View Post
                  definatly look at this link steves posted for you
                  yeah thats a great link to help you out. So what led you to join the ranks as a Katana owner? It's obviously a switch from what your used to, but I think you will enjoy it. The katana's are very comfortable, and handle relatively well. and above all are incredibly reliable when well maintained. Good luck and welcome to KR.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Edbean View Post
                    usmc you dont want to be saying your a harley guy around these parts

oh and you should keep your cruising rpm around 5,000 ish, 10,000 if your trying to go fast..... now i know fast is something new to you but thats when you twist your wrist and start moving at a high rate of speed, generally in MPH
                    I testrode a V-Rod, it's got more ponies (120ish?) a lot more torque and I remember it could be revved till 8500/9000 rpm.
                    Bet a 600 hey even a 750 Katana would not be able to keep up with a V-Rod till say 80mph..... (somebody should contact Beekman and race him)

Btw I remember that thing braked and handled waaaay better than I (prejudiced) expected.

For the record I'm no HD-fan, but this testride changed my vision on modern powercruisers.

Comment

Originally posted by kwebbel View Post
                      Bet a 600 hey even a 750 Katana would not be able to keep up with a V-Rod till say 80mph.....
                      V Rod has a better 1/4 mile time than what anyone on here has posted . I'd be an interesting race . I wouldn't race for pinks , though .
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Hi and welcome to KR Marine!
                        "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                        JOHN 16:33

Comment

Welcome to KR.

As a gentleman of later years when I got my license, I have allways wanted a Harley. Now I have a GSXF I still look at them, love the sound, but doubt I would buy one until I am even older

Listen to the advice above and don't mind the ribbing, these are a great bunch on here and the site / members are the best resource out there for our bike.

Oh and the V-Rod is the pinnacle of Harleys IMO so I don't doubt that you were impressed on your test ride Kwebbel
                          Riding 2002 GSX600F for 2 years. UK rider.

Comment

1-How do I take off the fairings? Do they all come off at once or is it possible to take take off only one?
                            I think after seeing how they come off you'll get how to take off just what you need. See my garage to see how I handled it.

2-Is there a way to tell just by looking at the carbs if a jet kit has been installed?
                            Greg answered that well. FYI you can just loosen the fairings, remove the seat and lift the tank to see the carb tops..
                            3-For any former Harley owners, how long does it take to get used to 12,000 RPM? Anything above 5,500 and I think it's gonna fly apart.
                            Never rode an H-D but it still took some time to get used to the redline on the kat. I was shifting at 4500RPM the first week
                            If you get it up above 7000... Hold on tight!

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                              If you get it up above 7000... Hold on tight!
                              BP meant to say, when you get it above 7000

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Working...
                              X