X

O-ring chain removal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O-ring chain removal

I just got new rims and tires this weekend that match mike bike perfectly. YES!!!! I'm planning on putting the rear on tomorrow, and I have to take an o-ring off. I plan on using the same chain still, and figured the easiest way to get the tire on was to take off the o-ring as opposed to the front sprocket. I had a friend help me put it on and it took him quite some time. How should I go about taking the clip off the master link? Also, I read that its hard to take the master link itself off, any tips for this? Any tips for the whole process would be nice because I've never done this before.

This website has a picture of the same kind of link(in case i'm using the term o ring improperly) that I have to remove and put back on, its for atv's though.

Tech Tip 23 Proper Installation of an O-ring Chain     This is what you get in your box of new O-ring chain: a wad of chain and pieces of

Also, what kind of grease should I apply to the axel?

thanks.
    Last edited by shawnk; 11-14-2007, 01:31 AM.
    1991 Katana 750

Being new to motorcycles blows, but at least i'm learning.

You don't need to take the chain apart to replace the rear wheel.

Slack the chain, loosen the axel, and push the wheel forward. Then remove the chain from the sprocket.

I usually move it over to the left.

Here's the bandit last winter with the rear wheel off.

*Moved to mechanics 101. Doesn't belong in Howtos & FAQs
    Last edited by steves; 11-14-2007, 08:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Just like steves said, just drape it over the left of the swing arm. It's a pain the first time you do it, but after that it's cake.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

thanks for the help...would have taken me forever to get that clip off
        1991 Katana 750

Being new to motorcycles blows, but at least i'm learning.

Comment

PLus , I'd wanna replace that clip anytime it's taken off . Metal fatigue and all . It is NO fun throwing a chain 50 miles from home in the middle of nowhere ,then having to ride ***** home on the back of a friend's bike . And THAT is getting off LIGHT for throwing a chain while in motion .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
          X