X

Had an accident, need help fixing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had an accident, need help fixing

I had a relatively small accident with my 2001 Katana (600), in that I'm fine and my bike just slid down a highway for some number of feet.
    Unfortunately, when I got to my bike, the oil was all drained out. Otherwise, all the lights and such worked, but I couldn't start it because the red 'low oil' light was on, well hopefully that's the reason.

After looking at the bike for a while, I found the problem. It seems that I have a crack on the left side of the bike, on what looks like an oil tank or something. If you look at this photo (http://www.thegrigsbys.com/Katana121.jpg), about halfway down the bike, following the diagonal line the two left-most air vents are making, is a grey circular structure. It's theoretically really close to the gear-shifter, but I don't see it.
    Anyway, that's cracked, and leaks oil. So...what do you think my options are? It's like 2-3 inch long crack, and a few millimeters wide -- the oil just drips. Can I epoxy the crack? If not, can I weld it? What's the part called, about how much will it cost? Can I install it myself, or does it require a ton of parts removal to get to it?
    Also, my gear-shifter might be a little broken. When I sit on the bike it feels like I can change through 1-N-2-3, but not past that? Not sure if I'm just missing something, or if it's because the bike is off, or out of oil, or what, but there's definitely some gear-shifting going on.
    Lastly, the bike isn't starting, is that because it realizes it has no oil?

Thanks a bunch guys.

(A) Replace or repair the cover. Depending on the size of the crack, you may be able to JB Weld it (remove, clean all the oil off with parts cleaner or carb cleaner, then use high-temp JB Weld if you do). Personally, I'd highly recommend replacing it with a new or used one. There are also aftermarket replacements available that are significantly thicker & made of harder than stock aluminum if you feel the odds are that you might spill again (billet covers available from NRC and from FactoryPro).

(B) Quit trying to start the bike until you have the cover fixed and oil in the bike. It's a good recipe for damaging moving parts.

(C) The shifting issue may simply be damages to the shifter mechanism externally, or could be internal. Rarely is it serious, but it will require some more investigation (or at least more info than you provided) to figure out.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

That "low oil" light is an oil pressure light . It's normally on when oil pressure is low , like say when the bike ain't running . Normal .
      JB Weld is WONDERFUL stuff . If it's just cracked , and you don't care about appearance , take off the cover , hose it down with brake cleaner , dry it off , and apply JB . Make sure you smear it into the crack good . Guarantee it'll outlast the bike if you do it right .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

sounds like you are describing the clutch cover? pick a number:

ebay has 'em used and new, or get a new one from BikeBandit.com. there is a gasket behind there, so get that too. drain the oil and be sure you torque those bolts properly on re-install as they will be quite easy to strip

my bike came with a bent shift linkage, yours may just be hitting itself or banging into something down there, preventing proper actuation. i too am doubtful that anything internal was damaged

good luck!
        1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

Originally posted by catfish View Post
          sounds like you are describing the clutch cover?
          No it doesn't ....
          Originally posted by sgtbilldoor View Post
          It seems that I have a crack on the left side of the bikeIt's theoretically really close to the gear-shifter, but I don't see it.
          Anyway, that's cracked, and leaks oil.
          Sounds like he's describing the starter gear cover . Only cover on the left which'd leak in a fall . Clutch cover is on the right .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Your shifter problem may not be a problem, If you are trying to shift through all the gears with the bike not moving, you probably wont be able to, You'll have to rock the bike back and forward in order to shift through all the gears.
            Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
            18v Rigid Drill
            Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
            New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

MD86 where do you find the JB Product? Have same crack same place, slipped on some wet leaves, practically standing still, couldn't believe it cracked. Just happened this weekend going home for TG. Never MIND I found it.
              Last edited by PDEIBERT; 11-25-2007, 10:44 PM. Reason: Got it I Think.
              sigpic

Comment

The bike won't shift through all the gears with out turning the back wheel.
                if you rock the bike back and forth or put it on the stand and turn the wheel slowly while shifting it will go ingto all the gears or should. but having all 6 lined up exactly is almost impossible.

as for the crack, replace the cover ASAp until then patch it up with JB weld and keep an eye on it.
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

ok i had the same fall a couple years ago and i cracked the same stock starter cover , the oil all drained out , i did not try to start the bike .
                  i orderd a new NRC cover about 100 bucks and tougher in case i droped the bike again ever or something ,
                  i treid to jb weld the hell out of it , it worked for a bit but only becuase the cover cracked right along one of the bolt holes it could not work with jbweld totaly , if it didnt crack the bolt hole cover i would have been set with jbweld.
                  besides the bike being out of oil , the problem is from being layed on its side the carbs leaked the gas out of and into diferent areas of your carbs making it dificult to start , as in its either not geting the gas yet into the carb and or its flooded . this will happen even if you lay the bike on its side gently for just even under 1 min.
                  weld the cover if you can if not get a new one and gasket oil her up and just keep trying to start it till it turns over eventualy up to a couple of minits of trying it will eventualy do it if nothing else was damaged .
                  and if u went down in 6th gear try siting on the bike and rolling/rocking it back and forth wile trying to downshift it back into nuetral.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X