Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Bike newbie trying to start a new-to-me 750.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike newbie trying to start a new-to-me 750.

just got an '89 750 Kat, and it's not starting. So... little help? <

Right now, it's trying. Cranks fine, is getting fuel through the petcock (most of the time; that could use replaced).
    Has spark, (a tad weak, but spark. Will recheck), carbs just got thoroughly cleaned, pilot screws are two and a quarter or two and three-eights turns out (as they came, correct me if that's wrong), and it does occasionally chug, and even starts on starter fluid, and then dies.

heard I need to clean out the tank vent, but my Haynes manual completely passes over that. how do I go about it?

So, what am I missing? Any tips?

I'd start by replacing the spark plugs. I'd set the pilots at 2 1/2 2 1/4 or 2 3/8 is lean, it comes that way, lean that is.

Comment

If you're worried about the tank vent just pop the gas cap.

First the rules, to run you need gas, spark and air...

Spark on a bike like the kat can look weak as compared to a car or the spark plug ads. So I'd say thats ok

You say it burps at least so I'd say you're getting air.

Gas. Hmm hard to see but easy to smell. Can you smell it in the exhaust pipe?

OK now for the details.
      Clean your plugs really well with a tiny wire brush or the like (I use scotch brite MD used a razor blade) Then try again. The Kat fouls plugs really easily! This means that there is gas on them and they cannot fire well thus getting more gas on them and so on..
      Where do you live? If it's really cool try parking it in the sun, this does actually help a lot. Or a heated garage.

Comment

Okay, scratch that. Now down to a rough idle and an everything-needs-adjustment, and about fifteen minutes just now of "OmygawdI'mgonnadie!"

Changed the plugs soon as I got it. Guess it needed some gas worked through it after a carb clean. Let the battery charge after that, went back to the garage, fired right up.

Filled the garage with smoke, too. That burned off. Carb cleaner, I guess.

So, now it idles a tad rough (need to balance the carbs) and after it warms a little bit, has a habit of trying to idle at 4k, then back down to a rough 1.5. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Front feels a tad squirrely. I could just not be used to it, but I'll ask what the proper tire pressure is, while I'm here.

For $500 and three days of work so far, this thing's a heck of a bigger rush than the CB250 I learned on. Now for insurance.

Comment

hey good job!!! i was having trouble with mine too (93 gsx 600) but i just got it to run today and it purrs like a kitten. i hope you enjoy your bike and getting running great!! congrats!!!
          Captain of Squad 11

Comment

If it fired up after the battery charge my thoughts lean towards a real weak spark. Did you check the battery before putting it on the charger and get a reading? The battery may need replacement.

I assume you pulled the new plugs and took a look at them? Just because they are new doesn't mean the Kat won't foul them fast. Take a look and see what there is to see just to be sure.

Comment

I haven't checked the plugs yet, but that will come once I get it roadworthy. Needs turn signals and some fasteners replaced.

Just checked it tonight, and the lights don't click on. I think the batter may be draining. A shame, since I bought the battery a couple days ago.

After--and during, since it's cheap--getting it streetworthy, gonna streetfighter it. Not to do some research and decide if it would be cheaper and easier to get some blasted fairings, or make my own in places, or if they're cheap enough that I could cut the ones I have.

Comment

Got a multimeter ? Check the charging system after charging the battery again just to be sure . Takes all of 2 minutes anyway .
                The VERY erratic idle (4k up and back again ) sounds like either a wicked vacuum leak , plug foulage and having the idle set a little off to compensate , or still crap in the carbs (not unheard of , as those little holes are REALLY tricky to get fully cleaned out ) .
                BTW , interesting SN . God machine ?
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I'll steal my dad's in the morning. Break out the Haynes manual. Hope I don't have to replace anything.

Heard a lot of Suzukis get stator/alternator and rec/reg problems. It's always the expensive parts.

Can many GSX600F or GSX-R 600 or 750 parts be swapped over? Can find 600 Kat and Gixxer parts all over the place.

And, yeah, been using this name a while. Stole it from a garage band I used to play with. Not associated with anyone around now.
                  Last edited by Deus Machina; 11-06-2007, 03:00 AM.

Comment

Nothing wrong with the Kats alt per se . Not many weak links with the Kats at ALL actually , 'cept the earlier ones had a little weak tranny gear issue .
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                    X