X

Kat won't fire up, and then a big pop

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kat won't fire up, and then a big pop

ok so i havent ridden my kat for maybe a week, and the other day, i started it up. pretty tough to get started, wouldnt' start for maybe 3 or 4 cranks. it started, but idle was low.

i rode it to work after letting it head up for like 10 mins, idle was still a little low though.

it's been maybe 2 days since then, and today i tried to start it, but it didn't want to, so i let it sit for a while, then i put on the choke, tried to start it 3 times then there was a big POP sound, like a fire cracker went off, scared the hell out of me.

anyone know what the problem could be?
    1995 SUZUKI 600 My PURPLE BEAST =)

My build and progress thread

Sounds like the pop was the unburnt gas in your exhaust system. Check carbs, plugs air filter etc....

Comment

dirty carbs is a good bet.

Comment

Check plugs . Mine does that sometimes when a plug is fouled or close to it .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

plug also, thats a great suggestion.

Comment

Maybe I should just make that my sig .... "CHECK YO PLUGS , YO"
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Mine has done that twice and it was tha plugs both times.
              Warning!! Will ride at anytime for no reason.

Comment

plugs? what you guys mean by plugs? sorry i'm new at all of this.

and how would i winterize my bike?

i'm leaning towards old gas because like i stated i havent riddin the bike in like a week and a half and i didnt take off the petcock to the off position, and left it on. could this have clogged up the carbs? and from what i can see, there is a old smuggy like substance on the side of my carbs that smells like gas. i say that because my gas was at half a tank, and it is now empty.

any help would be great.

Comment

uuummm.... spark plugs, toughs things that spark. There is no "off" position on your petcock, "on" is off, there no fuel flow without vacuum. Unless you left your petcock on "PRI" it won't leak unless of course your petcock diagram is shot, then get a petcock rebuild kit. If you had half a tank and now it's empty there's a few things you need to do.
                  1. change your oil, that 1/2 a tank of fuel is now in your oil.
                  2. rebuild your petcock, that thing is shot.
                  3. rebuild your carbs, the float heights are way off or the floats would have stoped it from flooding.

winterize.
                  Last edited by arsenic; 10-24-2007, 03:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic1016 View Post
                    uuummm.... spark plugs, toughs things that spark. There is no "off" position on your petcock, "on" is off, there no fuel flow without vacuum. Unless you left your petcock on "PRI" it won't leak unless of course your petcock diagram is shot, then get a petcock rebuild kit. If you had half a tank and now it's empty there's a few things you need to do.
                    1. change your oil, that 1/2 a tank of fuel is now in your oil.
                    2. rebuild your petcock, that thing is shot.
                    3. rebuild your carbs, the float heights are way off or the floats would have stoped it from flooding.

winterize.
                    http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/moto...c_storage.html
                    well as for the petcock, i left it in the position it should be in, at the 3oclock position. (if that is how it should be) other than that i don't know, i'm clueless about bikes.

i don't plan on riding the bike anymore since it's the end of the season over here in chicago, and fall is comming quick.

thanks for the info

Comment

you're in Chicago, I'm in Chicago, I'll fix it over the winter. I'm in Aurora actually like 40 miles west of Chicago. 3 o'clock is PRI, you shold never keep it on that, PRI is prime, not primary
                      Last edited by arsenic; 10-24-2007, 10:24 PM.

Comment

really u live in chicago?

think u can fix it for me over the winter? Like Winterize it and w.e? maybe teach me a couple of tricks and what not. i'm pretty good with cars Honda's and 240sx. Other than that im like with motorcycles. got a number i can call you? I have a van so i'll be able to transport.

Comment

yeah, I be happy too, but I got hurt really bad in a motorcycle accident on 5/22/05, so I am not at all normal, I'll PM you my number.

Comment

Arsenic will guide you down the right path. Just bring him the bike, drop it off and let him dig into it... You got lucky that he happens to be in your neck of the woods.

If you bring beer and pizza, you might even get him to teach you some stuff -- after he has it running right.

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

wow. i'm really lucky then =)

i'll bring some deepdish stuffed pizza or somethin with the beer! haha.

sounds great tho. can't wait. Sucks tho because winter is comming....

Comment

Working...
                              X