X

NEED HELP

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEED HELP

OK so its that time again... well i had the bike striped down for winter project after havin the carbs off and drained. what steps should i take for starting it up for the fisrt time since fall..... how long do i prime it for ? choke it ? thanx

Prime fills it up quite fast (at least on mine) - 30 seconds and you should be fine. I'd recommend to spray some starting gas in the airbox, lower risk to foul the plugs than with the choke - if it doesn't catch on the first attempt...
    - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Yank the plugs. Put one tablespoon of motor oil in each cylinder. With the plugs out, turn the engine over by hand about a dozen times (stick it in 1st and rotate that back wheel). Then reinstall the plugs (or install new ones if the old ones look questionable), switch the petcock to PRIME for 60 seconds, back to ON and try to start it as usual.

KNOW THIS:
      If the fuel has been sitting all winter, it may well be bad and need to be replaced first.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Cyber's right on with that oil idea, but if your battery is strong enough (it should be if you've kept it charged!) just turn it over a few times, then install new NGK plugs, and full choke and Prime for 60 seconds and she'll go!
        I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
        Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
        Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Working...
        X