X

88 600 crank seal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by katanarider123
    I also sprayed these with WD40 with no change in RPM. Besides the intakes boots and the diaphrams where else would a vacuum leak come from.
    Airbox.
    Underside of the carbs (float bowl seals), as well as seals on the common rails of the carb.
    Vacuum tube from the airbox to the valve covers (vapor recovery tube)
    Airbox drain tube.
    And if it's a California model, about 12 other places...

Note that a mismatched filter can act as if there is a vacuum leak by not providing the right amount of resistance to build the vacuum up.

PS - no need to sweat the oil in the signal generator unless it's literally leaking more than a constant dribble. Usually some leaks past the oil pressure sensor, and the bike can also spew some over the top of the section (you look closely, you'll see a cut-out in the block above the signal generator). Sealed, the system tends to leave only a small amount of oil in there (less than a shot glass).

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The airbox tube does have a cap on it. I don't think this is a CA bike because it doesn't have the vapor canister on it but it's 20 years old so it could've been removed.

So a vacuum leak can be before the carbs? I would've just assumed it would be a carbs forward problem.

Also, when i take the cover off the Signal Generator and start the engine it is like Niagra Falls, i could honestly pump every once of oil out of the engine in less than a minute. Is that Normal. I would assume that there should be zero oil in where the electrical is but i'm new to this type of bike as i usually always rode 2 stroke dirt bike where obviously there is no oil i there.

I will keep looking. I am going to pull the carbs off tonight and see what size jets are in there.

Thanks for all the tips. Please keep them coming

Comment

no, there is supposed to be oil in there. It is in fact your crankcase in an oil cooled engine. The oil stays on the bottom and doesn't get up high enough to affect the electronics. Why else would there be a gasket on the signal generator cover?

Comment

The airbox tube does have a cap on it. I don't think this is a CA bike because it doesn't have the vapor canister on it but it's 20 years old so it could've been removed.
          Look at the exhaust headers -- if there are tubes about 1" below them or block-off plates bolted on about 1" below the headers where they exit the engine, then it is an Cali model.

So a vacuum leak can be before the carbs? I would've just assumed it would be a carbs forward problem.
          Yes, a leak can be anywhere inside of the air filter forward, since the vacuum levels built by the engine generally build all the way back to the filtration media of the air filter, with it acting as the barrier that keeps the intake tract from equalizing with the great outdoors.

i could honestly pump every once of oil out of the engine in less than a minute. Is that Normal.
          No, that is an unacceptable amount. The question then becomes where is coming out of... if it's coming out around the oil pressure sensor, either tighten it or RTV it; if it's coming out under the signal generator rotor, yeah, you're looking at a crank seal (and possibly main bearings if the crank is sloppy enough in it's rotation to tear up that seal [as verses to just age]).

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

it is coming from behind the signal generator. when you start the bike with the cover off it does however make a nice spray pattern all over my garage floor.

Comment

You sure it's not being ejected through the cut-out above the signal generator?

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

ok, i pulled off the carbs and disassembled. #1 and # 4 main jet is 137.5 and #2 and #3 are 135.0 Pilot jets are all 37.5 and the pilot air jets are 155. All what the book says. However with the 155 pilot air jets that is the spec for the CA bike. These carbs could be off a CA bike, i don't know.

The carbs are spotless. The diaphrams all look good and the needle jets are clean as well.

Now what??

The oil could be coming from the Cut out, that would make sense.

Comment

also it has a UNI airfilter in it. It is that black foam.

Looking at the Dyno Jet kit it looks like the stage 1 kit has smaller Main jets and the stage 3 are about the same size as stock, that is, if they number theirs the same way as Mikuni does.

Would putting the 137.5 stock jets in #2&3 and putting 140's in #1 & 4 make it richer?

Comment

if it has a UNI filter in it, thats the RPM stutter, but you said it has stock?

Comment

Here's stock jetting:
                      Main jets 1 and 4 - 137.5
                      Main jets 2 and 3 - 135
                      pilot air jets (California) - 155
                      pilot jets (California) - 37.5
                      Toughs carbs are California.

Comment

Looking at the parts diagram and my filter it looked stock, i thought it was. It is a UNI filter, i know that now.

The Jets are all stock, we now know that for sure now. If i buy a stock airfilter in this will make it run richer?

Should i bump up the pilots and mains 1 size, say to around a 40 for the pilots and 140's for the mains? I REALLY don't want to burn this thing up by running it lean anylonger. There is really nothing else i can take apart. The carbs are spotless and all 4 seem to be running lean or somewhat lean.

The fuel screws where out about 1 3/4 each and i opened them to about 2 each.

Thanks again. Keep the answers coming.

Comment

I would leave the jets how they are an switch to an OEM air filter.

Comment

Working...
                          X