X

Oil level too high

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil level too high

Basically, I'm impatient. When changing the oil, I filled it, ran it for a bit, and shut it off. Before waiting for 5 minutes for all the oil to settle, I noted that the level was too low and added more. After the bike sits for 10 minutes, now the oil level is at the very top of the window.

I should probably drain a little out and do it right, huh? What does high oil risk damaging?
    Ride like your life depends on it.

Depends on how over full you are. Is it just at the top of the window, or is it over the window. I know a some stunters run and extra quart in their bikes so the bike isnt as starved for oil on the back wheel rather than install oil pickup extenders.

If it is just all the way at the top of the window, but not completely over the window you are probably ok. Why take a chance of stripping out the drain plug like a lot of people do if you are only a pint or so over?
    Thats just my opinion. I could be wrong.
    If Knowledge is Power, There are a lot of very weak people out there!!!

'97 TLS It's the "WILD, HAIRY-ARSED, NUN-RAPING VIKING PSYCHOPATH!" with M4 complete exhaust, PCII, -1front +2 rear, airbox mod, R motor with pairvalve mod, temp sensor relocation mod, and oil cooler mod

Comment

I guess I'm impatient in more than one way... I couldn't accept good enough. I just ran out to the garage and drained the oil to the right level

Thanks for the input SD.

I'm still interested to hear what damage can be done if the oil is too high, if anyone knows.

Comment

The oil level in the Kats is a bit complex; you measure it 45 - 60 seconds after shutting down the engine, not after 5 minute (nor when the engine hasn't been run at all). Thus, the oil you took out may put you under the low mark if measured right. Remeasure.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

That's pretty specific measuring. Where did you find that procedure for checking the oil level for Kats? If it sits for 5 minutes and the oil level is at the F mark, then it's too low?

I wanted to get it just right, but maybe I had it perfect the first time around :/

Comment

Start it , run for 1 minute , shut it down . Wait 1 minute , check level . It's in the manual , I promise .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Damn it! I have been going with the service manual procedures. I only got the owner's manual, after ordering it, a couple days ago. I figured that the service manual would only be more specific than the little owner's manual.

Thanks guys. I might have to go buy some more oil.

Comment

It's good to keep some extra around anyway , just in case . Sometimes bikes use a little oil and it may need topped off every once in a while .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Damit!!! I just changed my oil and thought I was ok...I'm going to have to check it out today...need to get more oil....Oh well thank God for this site...I know I'm not under Low mark but it probably needs more oil..
                  Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                  Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Originally posted by SoloScott
                    I'm still interested to hear what damage can be done if the oil is too high, if anyone knows.
                    If you get it much, much too full, then you'll have the crankshaft contacting the oil. This will whip the oil into a foam. Oil foam doesn't flow well, doesn't pump at all, and doesn't lubricate worth a damn.
                    I got a worried mind, sharin' what I thought was mine
                    Gonna leave her where the guitars play

Comment

TOO much oil = possible problems with vacuum lock, but the Katana has a blow by systm built in: The excess oil will blow out thru the top of the head cover port (1/2" hose that goes into airbox) and the oil will soak the filter a bit and then drain down thru the drain tube and clooect in the bottom until you undo the little cap with teh spring clip and watch it run out! Also blows out excess fumes, water vapor, etc.
                      I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                      Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                      Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by Morrolan
                        Originally posted by SoloScott
                        If you get it much, much too full, then you'll have the crankshaft contacting the oil. This will whip the oil into a foam. Oil foam doesn't flow well, doesn't pump at all, and doesn't lubricate worth a damn.
                        Depends on how much "over-full" we're talking about here. The crank is fairly high up, so to submerge the crank would take a lot of excess oil. Lower down is the oil pressure regulator, which if submerged could cause problems, especially at idle when the oil pressure is the lowest.

Morrolan is correct that oil foam is detrimental. Among other things, it tends to vaporize readily, causing oil varnish build-up, as well as accelerating viscosity breakdown within the oil and increasing boil-off. JASO-MA rated oils have extreme anti-foaming properties (must meet more stringent anti-foaming requirements that API spec), and that is yet another of the many reasons I highly endorse using JASO-MA rated oils in the Kat.

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Cool. Thanks for all the helpful info. I will get some extra oil and make sure it's just right.

Comment

Working...
                          X