Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

if an engine back fires when shuting off throtle is it lean?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it runs perfect everywhere else, don't waste your time and leave it be. Those pops were there with the stock pipe too, you just couldn't hear them. True richening the fuel screws may help, but this may also muddy up the transition to the midrange off idle. What is your goal? A nice running bike, or a quiet bike decelerating?

Mike
    '01 Bandit 1200
    '82 Yamaha XT250

Comment

OK, some dummy questions for you all...It's been a while and I'm due.

1.) Is the pilot screw and mixture screw the same thing?

2.) Where are they? I purchased my bike (99 Kat 600 with jet kit and yosh slip on already installed). I get a little pooping..i mean popping and want to mess with the screws to see if it helps. Bad idea?

Thanks as always,
      -John
      I'm starting to wonder if you all need a beatdown.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnbliYayzzy
        2.) Where are they? I purchased my bike (99 Kat 600 with jet kit and yosh slip on already installed). I get a little pooping..i mean popping and want to mess with the screws to see if it helps. Bad idea?
        The pilot screws on the Katana are on the bottom rear edge of the carbs. As shipped stock from Suzuki in the North American models, they are covered with flat round access panels designed to keep you from tinkering with them (thanks EPA!), but can be removed by drilling out a hole in the caps and using a self-tapping sheet metal screw to get a bite on the hole to pull them out.
        If you bike already has a jetkit, then those caps would already be gone.

There's a good write up for the 98+ Kats here, complete with pictures of where to find the pilot screw and how to install bigger main jets or a complete jetkit:

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks Cyber...you da man!
          I'm starting to wonder if you all need a beatdown.

Comment

Working...
          X