Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

if an engine back fires when shuting off throtle is it lean?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if an engine back fires when shuting off throtle is it lean?

I put a jet kit, new slip on, and GSXR cams in my bike. When I shut the throttle down at high rpms the bike backfires. I put the jet kit and the cams in my bike first. It only happened after I put a slip on the bike. The stock exhaust did not do this. I am thinking I need to go up a size on the jets in the carbs. Ideas?
    Is Effingham a swear word?

Backfires thru the carbs or Fires Thru the exhaust??????? My SSR2 fires thru the exhaust, my bros Two Bros Racing does it, and buddies D&D does it....
    '07 SV1000S
    Power Commander III USB
    M4/Yosh Ti Full Race Exhaust
    Driven 520 chain kit
    Spiegler SS Brake & Clutch lines

Comment

if it back fires, that means its lack of back pressure, put the stock exhasut on it wont back fire because of the restriction, now put a full exhaust or just leave the headers there so it wide open, and youll get some nicee flames hahah but yea its just because of backpressure issues, you want backpressure in your bike i wouldnt say tis somethign to stress about

Comment

back fire- Explosions of the fuel/air mixture that travel back through the intake

after fire-explosions in the exhaust track caused by too lean a air/fuel mixture

writen by Cyber
        TDA Racing/Motorsports
        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
        Who knows what is next?
        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Re: if an engine back fires when shuting off throtle is it l

Originally posted by illinoiskat
          I put a jet kit, new slip on, and GSXR cams in my bike. When I shut the throttle down at high rpms the bike backfires. I put the jet kit and the cams in my bike first. It only happened after I put a slip on the bike. The stock exhaust did not do this. I am thinking I need to go up a size on the jets in the carbs. Ideas?
          If you're getting after-fires (i.e. - out the exhaust) on decelleration, you may be able to cure them simply by increasing the pilot screw settings a quarter turn or a full turn (or somewhere in that range). If not, you'll need to go up a jet size and retest. Yes, it means that the mix goes to lean during the deceleration process (when the RPM's are still dropping, but only the idle circuit is fueling the carbs).

Want to know for sure: call the guys who make the jetkit -- they'll give you the answer
          Hint: it'll be the same answer as I just gave you...

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Hi Marc! Sorry I didn't ask permission LOL
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!

Comment

ok, its an afterfire. I will play with the float bowl levels and the idle screw. It is still a little dead in the 2 - 3.5 k zone. Maybe the two will clean up the afterfire. The pipe helped the low end a bit. Thanks for the replys.

Comment

remove the 12.5 idle jets and install 15's - adjust the air-fuel mixture for a smooth idle. even when correct you'll get a little popping.

tim

p.s. of course you could put it on a dyno w/ a sniffer too

Comment

I'll I did was back the mixture screws out half turn and all popping on decel is gone. I talk to a guy at my dealer and he said popping in the exaust is a lean condition, which can hurt the motor in the long run.
                  Gripp & Regripp

Comment

I all ready have the screws backed out 4 turns. I will try a little more. Is the idle circuit allways on?

Comment

4 turns is too many, the factory sets them at 1 1/4 turns for a stage on jet you should go to 2 1/2. Tighten the srew until it lightly seats then back it out 2 1/2 turns.

Comment

I just followed the directions on the Ivans jet kit. I think the GSXR cams are making it more lean. hmmmmmm I think I will order the 15's and go one turn on them.

Comment

I all ready have the screws backed out 4 turns. I will try a little more. Is the idle circuit allways on?
                          I'm with Arsenic on this one -- 4 turns out is too many to go up further (Ivan's 600 kit for the 98+ sets his at 4 turns out for example; if you still get the problem, he'll tell you to go to a bigger main jet). If you need to go to more turns, up the main jet size one size and reset the turns down to 2-3/8, retest.

If you got the kit from Ivan, get him on the phone. He'll answer all your questions (and talk your ear off in the process).
                          PS - Ivan will send you new jets if you need them to get it "right", usually for free if you bought his kit. Seriously, talk to him about it!

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I just followed the directions on the Ivans jet kit. I think the GSXR cams are making it more lean. hmmmmmm I think I will order the 15's and go one turn on them.
                            Gixxer cams have more lift and duration than the Kat cams. Timing is also a issue, you should advance it. I would double check the carbs also.
                            TDA Racing/Motorsports
                            Who knows what is next?

Comment

Um , I've read that if you're more than 4 turns out on the pilot to change the PILOT jet to one bigger ...
                              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                              X