X

88 valve swap to 96 head

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 valve swap to 96 head

ok this is the last one of these will an 88 screw type 600cc valves work in a 96 head? is it as easy as taking the valves and reinstall them in the sme spot? would like a 96 screw type engine

do you have any clue how much work a valve job is. First of all you have to lap the valves, they haven't made a hand lapping machine in like 40 years. The spark plugs are different 88-96. The intake manifold needs to be 88 to go with the 88-89 carbs. Your talking about a TON of work here. Since the piston rings were pretty hard for you, I would say a valve job is WAYYYYY out of your league.

Comment

beyond that the fact that it's a ton of work, I think you need the whole head to use screw type valves.

Comment

let me list just the tools you need to do this:
        Valve spring compressor for OHC not some cheap piece of crap either, that will run you about $50
        valve lapping hand machine, eBay is your only option, they haven't made one of those in like 40 years.
        coarse and fine valve lapping compound that will run you like $15
        you need new oil seals for each valve too (16), to get the old ones off you need a hook and pick set. So is it easy, uuummm.... not a chance.

Comment

just leave the shim head on it it will hold adjustment alot longer
          I have two gears to beat you with and four you will never see!"

don't knock masturbation its sex with someone i love

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic1016
            let me list just the tools you need to do this:
            Valve spring compressor for OHC not some cheap piece of crap either, that will run you about $50
            valve lapping hand machine, eBay is your only option, they haven't made one of those in like 40 years.
            coarse and fine valve lapping compound that will run you like $15
            you need new oil seals for each valve too (16), to get the old ones off you need a hook and pick set. So is it easy, uuummm.... not a chance.
            Dude , back up a minute ......
            Hand-lapping valves ain't all THAT . You can rent/borrow a spring compressor from Advance or Auto Zone . You don't NEED no expensive tool for lapping . They make this little suction cup looking thing you push on the valve face with (I just used my fingers ) . And the compound I got rather cheaply ( nowhere near $15) . Hell , I have almost a whole tube of the stuff left . The seals could be tough , though . I ain't played with THOSE . Yeah , it'll be a PITA time-wise , but not as bad money-wise as you make it out to be .
            Or you could leave the head on like Sin said .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
            X