X

Regular + Supreme = Kat wont start

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regular + Supreme = Kat wont start

Hello all, this week I accidentally put supreme grade gas in my Kat and road it that day with no problem. I actually went to work and the Kat sat there for several hours and started up when I was ready to go; with no problems. So yesterday I decide that im gonna go for a ride and the Kat wouldnt start. …. Come to think of it, it did start the first time... and normally I let it run while I put my gear on. Well it shut off on me, and wouldn’t start again. Now the only thing that I can think that I did differently this week to the Kat, is add that supreme fuel…. Do you guys think that mixing that fuel with what was already in the tank could have caused my Kat to get out of whack?

Re: Regular + Supreme = Kat wont start

Originally posted by oldgangalee
    Hello all, this week I accidentally put supreme grade gas in my Kat and road it that day with no problem. I actually went to work and the Kat sat there for several hours and started up when I was ready to go; with no problems. So yesterday I decide that im gonna go for a ride and the Kat wouldnt start. …. Come to think of it, it did start the first time... and normally I let it run while I put my gear on. Well it shut off on me, and wouldn’t start again. Now the only thing that I can think that I did differently this week to the Kat, is add that supreme fuel…. Do you guys think that mixing that fuel with what was already in the tank could have caused my Kat to get out of whack?
    No, unless there was water in the gas that you added.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Bad gas, or you got water in your tank...
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Or, it's completely unrelated. Do you have spark?

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

It died while you were letting it warm up? Could have flooded itself, the higher octane gas burns slower so can allow loading up when used in an engine not designed for it.
          That being said, gytrdunk is right you should check the basics and not assume anything.

Comment

yeah i have spark ...the engine just doesnt turn over ... maybe the plugs are bad. I'll have to check them out.

Comment

does they engine not turn over at all, or does it crank and just not start.

Comment

it cranks ... but wont start.

Comment

well, then it's a spark, fuel, compression issue. You've tested for spark so rule that out, you had good compression before, so I doubt thats a problem. So fuel is you're issue. It has nothing to do with premium/regular, my guess is you got water in there.

Comment

See that’s why I thought it was a fuel problem b/c it ran ok the day before ... and as far as water is concerned, there hasn’t been any rain here until today.

Comment

it's gotta be something wrong with the fuel, the premium/regular combo has nothing to do with it

Comment

yeah .... well im gonna try again this evening ... and if it starts i'll put some fuel treatment in it. If it doesnt start then i'll take it to the shop this weekend.... have them flush it.

Comment

ok so over the weekend i changd out th spark plugs and my bike still wouldnt start. So i took it to the shop and as soon as i tried to start her up (and it didnt work) the mechanic said it must be a fuel issue. So i left it at the shop.

Comment

Combining fuel grades shouldn't cause the bike to not start.... there is some fueling issue with it. Either water in the gas, rust in the tank, bad gas etc.

I generally add premium or supreme to the tank if I think it's going to sit for any period of time...
                            -Steve

sigpic
                            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

The only way fuel is an issue is if you accidentally used one of the following fuels:

E-85 (or any E-numbered fuel above E-10 or E-15, depending on whether it's methanol or ethanol they're using)
                              Diesel
                              Kerosene

IMHO: Most likely, water.

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X